Reverse Current for RC Car Model: 3 Way Switch or Alternative Solution?

• Thread starter johnabbott123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reversing the current in an RC car model without a speed controller. One suggestion is a three-way switch, but its effectiveness is uncertain. The conversation also mentions the need to change gears to prevent the car from going backwards when the current is reversed. The main problem being discussed is finding a way to reverse the current in the RC car.
johnabbott123
For a rc car model, is there any way to reverse the current like a speed controller would but without one to be able to make the car reverse?
I have been contemplating the option of three way switch but I'm not sure if it'll work. Any other helpful ideas?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I'm sorry, you want to reverse the current through what exactly? RC Cars can have quite complicated circuits with current reversing and changing direction all over the place.

If you reverse the current through the motor, for eg, the motor will go in reverse.
The only way to stop this from making the car go backwards is to change gears.

What is the problem you are trying to solve?

What is a 3 way switch?

A 3 way switch is a type of electrical switch that allows you to control a single light or group of lights from two different locations. It is commonly used in stairways, hallways, and large rooms where multiple switches are needed for convenience.

How does a 3 way switch work?

A 3 way switch works by using three terminals: one common and two travelers. The common terminal is connected to the power source, while the travelers are connected to the two other switches. When one switch is flipped, the circuit is completed and the light turns on. Flipping the other switch breaks the circuit and turns off the light.

What are the different types of 3 way switches?

There are two main types of 3 way switches: single pole and 3 way dimmer switches. Single pole switches are the basic type and are used to control a light from two locations. 3 way dimmer switches, on the other hand, allow you to adjust the brightness of the light from both locations.

How do I wire a 3 way switch?

Wiring a 3 way switch can be tricky, so it's important to follow the instructions carefully. In general, the common terminal should be connected to the power source, the travelers should be connected to the other switches, and the load (light) should be connected to the remaining terminal. It's always best to consult a professional electrician if you are unsure.

What should I do if my 3 way switch isn't working?

If your 3 way switch isn't working, there could be a few possible causes. Check to make sure all the wires are connected properly and securely. If the connections seem fine, the switch itself may be faulty and need to be replaced. It's also important to ensure that you are using the correct type of switch for your setup.