1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 year BSc (Hons.)

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    I had been talking to my seniors about applying to colleges once one is done with a BSc. In India, BSc degrees are only for 3 years, and I've heard that many colleges in US do not accept 3 year degrees when applying for masters, but only 4. I have also heard that since certain colleges offer BSc (Hons.) instead of a regular BSc, the students use that as a loophole to get admission to US colleges for masters.

What is the consensus on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #2
    Some places in US do accept three year undergraduate (i mean they arn't stringent about the *4* year degree). But yeah, many nice places don't :cry: I am also a B.Sc. honors student from India. I mailed the universities I was interested in and they replied whether they are cool with the 3 year education. Guess thats what one should do?

4. Jan 9, 2010 #3
    Hi Sourabh,
    Since the nice places dont accept a three year undergrad what should one do? I am also a BSc Phy student in India and interested in grad school in the US. Are you planning on doing an MSc in India and then applying? Thanks .

5. Jan 9, 2010 #4
    I said 'many nice places', not 'all nice places' :approve: There are still good places one can get into with a 3 year degree. And yes, given I don't get in the place I want, I will do MSc in India (or elsewhere..) and then dream.

6. Jan 11, 2010 #5
    Many thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook