1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

300 Level Classes

1. Dec 26, 2017 #1
    I'm not if this is the right place for this, so mods can feel free to move this. I'm a part-time student going into my second semester of 300 level physics class. This past semester I oscillated between feeling just fine and questioning whether physics was right for me (usually around test time). I ended up with an A, A- and B- in thermodynamics, waves and oscillations and a lab respectively, but I'm not quite sure that's indicative of what I learned. Let's just say cheat sheets are a big help.

Starting next month, I'll be taking E&M1, intermediate modern physics and a lab. What exactly can I expect in the first two of those classes? What are the most important calculus topics to review? To make a long story short, it's been about 4 years since I took the calc sequence, so I'm hoping it will come back to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2017 #2
    A solid understanding of vector calculus will be incredibly useful for E&M. For modern physics, that will also be sufficient.

4. Dec 26, 2017 #3
    E&M will likely focus on solving boundary value problems. In particular, the Laplace and Poisson equations. The mathematical methods involved will likely include Fourier analysis and the method of images.

Topics in Modern physics courses can vary a lot depending on the professor. My modern physics course focused on solid state physics and optics but yours can easily be different.

5. Dec 27, 2017 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Ask the professors. Different schools do things differently: MIT or Caltech versus a flagship state university (U of Michigan, U of Texas, Ohio State) versus someplace like North Podunk State.

(I'm assuming you're in the US.)

6. Dec 27, 2017 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

What does it say in the course description?

7. Dec 27, 2017 #6

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Well at least you didn't insult South Podunk State!
    South Podunk State alumni :woot:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted