303 Stainless Steel tapping

• Thread starter Agrean
  • Start date
Hello friends.
First, I apologize for my bad English. I need your experience. I want to produce a piece, but I have a problem with tapping. The material is 303 stainless steel. I need a M2 tapping to this part. Approximately 200-300 pieces of M2 tapping will be made. For 303 stainless steel which tap do you recommend? How many mm drill and speed / feed do you recommend?

Last edited:

berkeman

Mentor
Hello friends.
First, I apologize for my bad English. I need your experience. I want to produce a piece, but I have a problem with tapping. The material is 303 stainless steel. I need a M2 tapping to this part. Approximately 200-300 pieces of M2 tapping will be made. For 303 stainless steel which tap do you recommend? How many mm drill and speed / feed do you recommend?
Are your taps wearing out earlier than expected? I do not see the issue with using a standard tap for this application.

Are your taps wearing out earlier than expected? I do not see the issue with using a standard tap for this application.
I haven't tried it yet. So you're saying cheap HSS taps would be enough? Example this?
Screenshot_20190520_020638.jpg

berkeman

Mentor
I don't use cheap taps. Why would you? Especially if you are planning on tapping many holes...

I don't use cheap taps. Why would you? Especially if you are planning on tapping many holes...
Is there a tap you can recommend?
<< Spam links deleted >>

Last edited by a moderator:

berkeman

Mentor
Is there a tap you can recommend?
<< Spam links deleted >>
I have a feeling that this has been a spam setup thread, and I bit the bait. Just buy normal quality taps from your local supply store.

I have a feeling that this has been a spam setup thread, and I bit the bait. Just buy normal quality taps from your local supply store.
I dont spam Sorry for upload pics. Im from Turkey and there is all local supply say dont have M2 tap. If you can give me brand or tap link I would be happy. Thank you.

Last edited:
Screenshot - 5_20_2019 , 2_38_57 AM.jpg

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I suspect the SS is work hardening.

In my experience of drilling stainless, slow speed and heaps of pressure, together with good lubrication/cooling, are the answer

Always use a slow rpm and a heavy feed rate. If at all possible flatten the point of the drill out more than the standard angle. Every thing that is hard to drill: use a wider point; every thing soft then a sharper point on the drill. Use mucho coolant.

DON"T STOP until you the through or at your stopping point. It you stop, it'll harden and getting started again will be difficult.

jrmichler

Science Advisor
What @Ranger Mike said, plus make the tap drill slightly larger. Most tap drills are sized to make a hole that results in (I think) 75% thread depth. I did some tests once with larger tap drills to get 50% thread depth and found no decrease in strength. Those tests were to help out the machine shop with a similar problem - tapping small deep holes in hard to tap material.

Baluncore

Science Advisor
When threading stainless steel you should use “Cobalt High Speed Steel” drills and taps. CoHSS.
It comes in two common grades, M35 and M42.

CoHSS tools are expensive, but it is often the only way to cut such a small thread. You may be able to buy a spiral tap in CoHSS.
Avoid spiral thread-flow taps that do not cut, they deform malleable materials.

Google 'cobalt M2x0.4 spiral tap' or search ebay

Last edited: