303 Stainless Steel tapping

In summary: M2x0.4 spiral tap'.I would recommend using a tap made from high-speed steel. A cobalt-based tap will be more durable and cutting-resistant.
Agrean
Hello friends.
First, I apologize for my bad English. I need your experience. I want to produce a piece, but I have a problem with tapping. The material is 303 stainless steel. I need a M2 tapping to this part. Approximately 200-300 pieces of M2 tapping will be made. For 303 stainless steel which tap do you recommend? How many mm drill and speed / feed do you recommend?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Agrean said:
Hello friends.
First, I apologize for my bad English. I need your experience. I want to produce a piece, but I have a problem with tapping. The material is 303 stainless steel. I need a M2 tapping to this part. Approximately 200-300 pieces of M2 tapping will be made. For 303 stainless steel which tap do you recommend? How many mm drill and speed / feed do you recommend?
Are your taps wearing out earlier than expected? I do not see the issue with using a standard tap for this application.

berkeman said:
Are your taps wearing out earlier than expected? I do not see the issue with using a standard tap for this application.
I haven't tried it yet. So you're saying cheap HSS taps would be enough? Example this?
Screenshot_20190520_020638.jpg

I don't use cheap taps. Why would you? Especially if you are planning on tapping many holes...

berkeman said:
I don't use cheap taps. Why would you? Especially if you are planning on tapping many holes...
Is there a tap you can recommend?
<< Spam links deleted >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Agrean said:
Is there a tap you can recommend?
<< Spam links deleted >>
I have a feeling that this has been a spam setup thread, and I bit the bait. Just buy normal quality taps from your local supply store.

Likes anorlunda
berkeman said:
I have a feeling that this has been a spam setup thread, and I bit the bait. Just buy normal quality taps from your local supply store.
I don't spam Sorry for upload pics. I am from Turkey and there is all local supply say don't have M2 tap. If you can give me brand or tap link I would be happy. Thank you.

Last edited:
Screenshot - 5_20_2019 , 2_38_57 AM.jpg

I suspect the SS is work hardening.
In my experience of drilling stainless, slow speed and heaps of pressure, together with good lubrication/cooling, are the answer
Always use a slow rpm and a heavy feed rate. If at all possible flatten the point of the drill out more than the standard angle. Every thing that is hard to drill: use a wider point; every thing soft then a sharper point on the drill. Use mucho coolant.DON"T STOP until you the through or at your stopping point. It you stop, it'll harden and getting started again will be difficult.

Likes jrmichler
What @Ranger Mike said, plus make the tap drill slightly larger. Most tap drills are sized to make a hole that results in (I think) 75% thread depth. I did some tests once with larger tap drills to get 50% thread depth and found no decrease in strength. Those tests were to help out the machine shop with a similar problem - tapping small deep holes in hard to tap material.

When threading stainless steel you should use “Cobalt High Speed Steel” drills and taps. CoHSS.
It comes in two common grades, M35 and M42.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_steel#Cobalt_High_Speed_Steels_(HSS)
CoHSS tools are expensive, but it is often the only way to cut such a small thread. You may be able to buy a spiral tap in CoHSS.
Avoid spiral thread-flow taps that do not cut, they deform malleable materials.

Google 'cobalt M2x0.4 spiral tap' or search ebay

Last edited:

What is 303 Stainless Steel?

303 Stainless Steel is a type of austenitic stainless steel that contains higher levels of sulfur and phosphorus, making it more machinable and easier to tap than other stainless steel grades.

Why is 303 Stainless Steel commonly used for tapping?

303 Stainless Steel is commonly used for tapping due to its high machinability and excellent corrosion resistance. It also has good strength and can withstand high temperatures, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

What is the best method for tapping 303 Stainless Steel?

The best method for tapping 303 Stainless Steel is to use sharp, high-speed steel or carbide-tipped cutting tools. It is important to use the correct cutting speed, feed rate, and lubrication to ensure a clean and precise tap.

What are the advantages of tapping 303 Stainless Steel?

Some advantages of tapping 303 Stainless Steel include its high machinability, excellent corrosion resistance, and good strength. It is also readily available and cost-effective, making it a popular choice for many industries.

Are there any limitations to tapping 303 Stainless Steel?

While 303 Stainless Steel is generally easy to tap, it can work harden if not properly lubricated or if the cutting tools are not sharp. It also has lower ductility compared to other stainless steel grades, so it may not be suitable for certain high-stress applications.