Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

32bit program on 64bit Windows/Linux

1. Jul 28, 2004 #1
    If I invest in Athlon 64 PC for the sake of 64bit Windows,
    later, can I install 32bit applications (e.g. Partition Magic, Games etc) on the 64bit Windows? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2004 #2
    I think the main difference as far as I have learnt between Win64 and Win32, sytematically, is the size of pointer variables and the size of virtual address space...They both also have many other differences in file system but both if mentioned in relation to NTFS, will support 64-bit file addresses. Many of the programs created today will surely be required to be compatible with different platforms among which Win64 is nothing that turns out strange to many people. I think a big bear will try his best to protect his daughters and sons from dangerous enemies but does it mean his offsprings are not belonging to bear community ?
    Am I on the incorrect track ?

4. Jul 28, 2004 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Yes you can run 32bit applications, but they may run slower. My suggestion is not to get influenced by the hype, unless your in the server market. There just isn't enough software avallable for home users to justify moving. Windows Longhorn isn't even going to be 64bit and that doesn't come out until 2006. I would say went until 2008 to seriously consider 64bit processors.

5. Jul 28, 2004 #4
    So, I just need to invest in Athlon XP or Intel Prescott (PCI express) would be good enough.

6. Jul 28, 2004 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

What are you going to do with this new computer?

7. Jul 29, 2004 #6
    playing 3D computer games,
    Visual.NET programming,
    Internet,
    install TV card and connect it to projector so that i can have a 100 inches home theater system.

8. Jul 29, 2004 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

The only thing that could benefit from a 64bit processor is 3d gaming, but there are no games that that are being written for 64bit processors since so few people have them.

I just looked up the exact projected date for 64bit windows and it will come out around late 2005 to beginning 2006. And this is just for windows xp 64bit. By that time you might as well wait around for 32bit windows longhorn which is going to have much more capabilities then windows xp.

One thing to also note is that the drivers for your hardware needs to support 64bit to run at all in a 64bit operating system.

It better to wait then pay top dollar to get a technology that you may end up not using at all. The sweet spot in processors right now is 2.6Ghz. An AMD at this speed will cost around $67 USD and an Intel at this speed will cost around $94. For the two past computers I've gotten an AMD and have been very satisfied by its performance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?