34,000 Years Old and Still Alive

• Thread starter HeLiXe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, scientists have discovered a living organism frozen in salt crystals from 34,000 years ago. The organism is still alive and has been slowed down to an incredible point, but is able to be revived. This is an interesting discovery and raises many possibilities about suspended life.
HeLiXe
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110113/sc_livescience/34000yearoldorganismsfoundburiedalive" [Broken]

It's a tale that has all the trappings of a cult 1960s sci-fi movie: Scientists bring back ancient salt crystals, dug up from deep below Death Valley for climate research. The sparkling crystals are carefully packed away until, years later, a young, unknown researcher takes a second look at the 34,000-year-old crystals and discovers, trapped inside, something strange. Something ... alive.

Couldn't find it on PF...just wanted to share!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Living in cavities in salt crystals, no less!

I had discussed that with someone earlier today. Amazing that they could slow themselves down that much.

Evo said:
I had discussed that with someone earlier today. Amazing that they could slow themselves down that much.
And still manage to maintain their genetic material for all that time.

Well, there's a fungus that's been growing in the inland northwest for quite some time...

Tens of thousands of years, from what I recall of the news story that broke a couple years back.

I would really prefer not to sample that sort of truffle, though!

mugaliens said:
Well, there's a fungus that's been growing in the inland northwest for quite some time...

Tens of thousands of years, from what I recall of the news story that broke a couple years back.

No, it's between 2,000 to 8,500 years old, still long living.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/03/030327074535.htm

But that's actively growing this has gone into a form of suspended animation, it's slowed to an incredible point, yet able to be revived.

turbo-1 said:
Living in cavities in salt crystals, no less!
I know!
Evo said:
It is amazing. I'm sure they ruled out the possibility that it could be from this guy's nails
lthumb.a585574bfb666248f20b83974b9a222a.jpe

:tongue2:
mugaliens said:

Is that the really enormous one that is the largest living organism?
-----------------------------------
Edit: Nevermind, I just clicked the link Evo gave and saw that it is the same.

Evo said:
No, it's between 2,000 to 8,500 years old, still long living.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/03/030327074535.htm

But that's actively growing this has gone into a form of suspended animation, it's slowed to an incredible point, yet able to be revived.

What? The fungus in the Northwest, or the bacteria in the salt?

If the bacteria in the salt, I'm starting to think about the possibilities of suspended life. Intriguing!

I try to stay away from the comments because they can be so idiotic to read. Great article, though. More proof that life can exist in so many different situations!

What is "34,000 Years Old and Still Alive"?

"34,000 Years Old and Still Alive" refers to the age of a species of deep-sea bacteria that was discovered in 2012. These bacteria have been dormant for thousands of years and were able to revive and grow in a laboratory environment.

How were these bacteria able to survive for 34,000 years?

These bacteria have the ability to form spores, which are a protective state that allows them to withstand extreme environmental conditions and remain dormant for long periods of time. This, combined with the freezing temperatures and lack of nutrients in the deep-sea sediment where they were found, allowed them to survive for thousands of years.

What implications does this discovery have?

This discovery has significant implications for our understanding of the limits of life on Earth. It shows that some organisms are capable of surviving extreme conditions and could potentially be found in other extreme environments, such as on other planets or moons.

What can we learn from studying these bacteria?

Studying these bacteria can provide insights into the mechanisms of survival and adaptation in extreme environments. It can also help us understand how life can persist for long periods of time and potentially inform our search for extraterrestrial life.

Are there any potential applications for this discovery?

There are potential applications in biotechnology, as these bacteria have unique survival mechanisms that could be useful in various industries. Additionally, understanding how these bacteria survived for so long could help inform strategies for long-term space travel and colonization.