Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

35 year sentence for stealing a TV.

1. May 31, 2005 #1

There has to be more to this case. Has anyone heard anything about this?
    Last edited: May 31, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2005 #2
    that sounds like a lawsuit to me, but thats just my opinion
  4. Jun 2, 2005 #3
    I agree TsunamiJoe.
    This mans constitutional rights were clearly violated.
    "Cruel and Unusual punishment"

I started a thread regarding this matter on the Charlotte.com message board. All the Carolinians that have replied are all in agreement that he got what he deserved... Go figure.

One person replied to me that I felt it was unjust simply because the man was black.
    The south will ALWAYS be backwards.

5. Jun 3, 2005 #4
    ignore that rapists and such get out in less time, lets just look at the basic, he was sentanced 35 years for a theft bordering a misdemenour...
  6. Jun 5, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

Did he not physically assault this old lady ?
  7. Jun 5, 2005 #6

If he did, he got what he deserved.

If not, then I would say that the sentence was ridiculous, but that was the law at the time. He should have known better.
  8. Jun 5, 2005 #7

Gold Member

It would have been noted if that were the case and the theft charge would have been secondary to the attempted murder/assault charge.

I see every case like this and htink "ok.... there HAS to be something not mentioned here to justify this" but ... i mean... there is no end to how good the excuse has to be to keep him in that long. Unless of course he killed someone in prison or assaulted a bunch of people in prison...

Edit: OHHHHHH I think i found out whats the catch to this. Anyone notice what kinda website we're looking at? Well look at the actual AP report....

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  9. Jun 6, 2005 #8
    it says he was never convicted of assault
  10. Jun 12, 2005 #9
    goes to show you how bad things used to be.

When people were railroaded into prison for minor crimes back then it was a joke. Then again we are talking about the south in 1970. This jsut goes to show you how bad things can get in the future based on what happened in the past.
  11. Jun 13, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Have things really changed that much? According to the AP report, this man had a conviction record that included other burglaries and a violent assault. Here in California, he would have been sentenced to life in prison for his third felony and would never have even had the chance to steal the TV.
  12. Jun 13, 2005 #11

Gold Member

Yah, our three strikes law immediately popped into my head on this one. Do they happen to have had something similar at the time and it was enacted on this case?
  13. Jun 14, 2005 #12
    also keep in mind hes not in california, but washington...

and i seemingly doubt they did, but thats just an assumption at this point
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?