Proofing that All Arcs of a Circle = 360 Degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angles on a circle, specifically how they add up to 360 degrees. The person is struggling to find a way to motivate their proof for this concept and mentions the use of different degree systems. They also mention the importance of not deleting the homework template in future posts.
Dousin12
Im doing a proof. For instance all sums of a triangle add upp to 180 degrees. But how to i motivate that all arcs on a circle add up to 360 degrees.

A part of my proof is that Arc A + B + C = 360 degrees.

But i don't know what to write in the column that motivates every step. ! Like a lap is 360 degrees dosent sound good enough

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually we just say, angles at a point sum to 360o
I think that is a definition of degrees.

Dousin12 said:
Im doing a proof. For instance all sums of a triangle add upp to 180 degrees. But how to i motivate that all arcs on a circle add up to 360 degrees.

A part of my proof is that Arc A + B + C = 360 degrees.

But i don't know what to write in the column that motivates every step. ! Like a lap is 360 degrees dosent sound good enough
In future posts, please don't delete the homework template. Its use is required.

Merlin3189 said:
Usually we just say, angles at a point sum to 360o
I think that is a definition of degrees.

Very much this.

pasmith said:
Very much this.

This is true. We have chosen to use a 360degree system for a circle but other systems like a 400 degree system (have) exist(ed) as well.

What is the concept of "Proofing that All Arcs of a Circle = 360 Degrees"?

The concept of "Proofing that All Arcs of a Circle = 360 Degrees" is based on the fact that in a circle, the sum of all the arcs is always equal to 360 degrees. This means that no matter how many arcs are in a circle, their combined measure will always add up to 360 degrees.

Why is it important to prove that all arcs of a circle equal 360 degrees?

Proving that all arcs of a circle equal 360 degrees is important because it serves as a fundamental geometric principle. This concept is used in various mathematical calculations and constructions, and is essential for understanding the properties of circles and other curved shapes.

How do you prove that all arcs of a circle equal 360 degrees?

The proof for this concept is based on the central angle theorem, which states that the measure of a central angle is equal to the measure of its intercepted arc. By applying this theorem to a circle, we can prove that the sum of all the central angles is equal to 360 degrees, and therefore, the sum of all the arcs is also equal to 360 degrees.

Can this concept be applied to other curved shapes besides circles?

No, this concept is specific to circles and cannot be applied to other curved shapes. This is because circles have a constant radius, which allows for the central angle theorem to be applied. Other curved shapes have varying radii, making it impossible to prove that all their arcs equal a specific measure.

What are some real-life examples of this concept in action?

This concept is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and navigation. For example, in architecture, this concept is used to calculate the angles and measurements of circular structures such as domes and arches. In navigation, it is used to determine the direction and distance between two points on a circle, such as the Earth's longitude and latitude lines.