How does a man in India's remote northeast have 39 wives and 100 children?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary: i'm not sure they go quite that young these days. but check out age of consent laws some time. there are a few states that go as low as that.
waht
When I read this news article I thought it was a joke, but I guess not:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-39-wives-94-children-33-grandchildren.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110222/od_nm/us_india_family

The more, the merrier is certainly true for Ziona Chana, a 66-year-old man in India's remote northeast who has 39 wives, 94 children and 33 grandchildren -- and wouldn't mind having more.

They all live in a four storied building with 100 rooms in a mountainous village in Mizoram state, sharing borders with Myanmar and Bangladesh, media reports said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not crazy at all.
He heads a local Christian religious sect, called the "Chana," which allows polygamy. Formed in June 1942, the sect believes it will soon be ruling the world with Christ and has a membership of around 400 families.

Soon is just taking a little longer than anticipated.

Check back later, er - soon. :rofl:

Of course, they could be talking cosmologically, in which case give it few million years or so. :biggrin:

Ok that's it I'm moving to India! They are clearly much more cult friendly and I want me some wifes!

edit. Also good article to see when first getting online very up lifting if your a man.

It's not enough when I come sneaking home late to find one wife in a bad mood?

39 honey-do lists...I hope the guy's handy.

I thought this was a jeopardy answer with question: "what do 50 average guys have?"

mathwonk said:
I thought this was a jeopardy answer with question: "what do 50 average guys have?"

I think you'd kick Watson's butt, mathwonk...:rofl:

mathwonk said:
Lol.

I bet between Evo and I, we've had almost that many spouses.

Getting out GOOBF cards to PM just in case.

dlgoff said:
I bet between Evo and I, we've had almost that many spouses.

Getting out GOOBF cards to PM just in case.
:rofl:

impressive

For some reason the term, Biblical Proportions, comes to mind.

Just goes to show you what a 50 dollar bill and moving to timbuktu can do for you. :)

Containment said:
Ok that's it I'm moving to India! They are clearly much more cult friendly and I want me some wifes!

edit. Also good article to see when first getting online very up lifting if your a man.

Containment said:
Just goes to show you what a 50 dollar bill and moving to timbuktu can do for you. :)
Be careful for what you wish for. Be VERY CAREFUL. :rolleyes:

dlgoff said:
Be careful for what you wish for. Be VERY CAREFUL. :rolleyes:

Listen to Don, Containment.

Containment said:

Canada and the US also have these cults.

rootX said:
Canada and the US also have these cults.

we persecute them in the US. better stick with Canada.

Proton Soup said:

Last time I read about it, they were considering prosecuting the polygamists:

A Canadian court has begun hearings on whether Canada's anti-polygamy law violates rights to freedom of religion guaranteed by the constitution.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11817322

Only 39 wives ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwM1ncuYAAg

rootX said:
Last time I read about it, they were considering prosecuting the polygamists:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11817322

huh. you guys must've had a big influx of americans.

got to wonder if there is an anti-islam slant to it, too.

Proton Soup said:
I remember that guy a few years back with several wives who got 5 years. Big deal. I only have one wife and I got life.

It's funny people talk about equal right and rights for the homos but yet they wouldn't allow polygamy.

One guy is taking 50+women all for him self! of course lesbians are against polygamy!

Proton Soup said:
huh. you guys must've had a big influx of americans.

got to wonder if there is an anti-islam slant to it, too.

Not in the US, imo. But there is an anti-fundamentalist-Mormon slant. And the objection really isn't so much the multiple wives, it's that they marry the girls so very young (12, 13) to old men.

lisab said:
Not in the US, imo. But there is an anti-fundamentalist-Mormon slant. And the objection really isn't so much the multiple wives, it's that they marry the girls so very young (12, 13) to old men.
There is a saying "ones it's past 12 it's lunch time". I don't agree with it btw.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
There is a saying "ones it's past 12 it's lunch time". I don't agree with it btw.

Agree or not, it can get you into a lot of trouble in the US.

lisab said:

i'm not sure they go quite that young these days. but check out age of consent laws some time. there are a few states that go as low as that. i think CA may even be one, but with court approval or something.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
It's funny people talk about equal right and rights for the homos but yet they wouldn't allow polygamy.

"The homos"? Can I safely assume you didn't intend rudeness with that terminology?

As for the the OP, all I kept thinking was: how does he afford it?

Do you realize the amount of income from wellfare you would pull in with 50 wives all having multiple children?

Containment said:
Do you realize the amount of income from wellfare you would pull in with 50 wives all having multiple children?

No, actually I don't know. I *do* know that having one spouse and one child and trying to live off of a welfare income is next to impossible.

But, so, do they have a comparable welfare system in India?

39 wives is 39 incomes. all under one roof is economy of scale. it's smarter than you think.

Proton Soup said:
39 wives is 39 incomes. all under one roof is economy of scale. it's smarter than you think.

Ah, okay see, I didn't consider each of them working. There are several references in the article where the much-married-man talks about him "taking care of" these women. So my likely limited North American mind equated "taking care of" to encompass financial situations as well.

So, yes, at least 39 adult incomes -- more, actually, because he has grown children who are also married living with them, so consider their incomes and their spouses' incomes too -- and yes, you'd have a fair amount of cash coming in. And, as you said, economies of scale kicks in.

It was simply an assumption on my part because of language usage and local interpretation.

1. How is it possible for a man to have 39 wives and 100 children in India's remote northeast?

This is possible due to the practice of polygamy, where a man is allowed to have multiple wives at the same time. In some cultures, such as certain communities in India's remote northeast, polygamy is still socially accepted and practiced.

2. Is this man legally married to all 39 of his wives?

In India, polygamy is illegal under the Hindu Marriage Act of 1955, which states that a person cannot have more than one spouse at a time. However, some communities in India still follow their own cultural and religious practices, which may allow for polygamy.

3. How does he financially support such a large family?

It is likely that this man has a stable source of income, such as a successful business or a well-paying job, to support his large family. Additionally, in some cultures, the wives and children may also contribute to the household income through their own work.

4. What are the cultural and social implications of having such a large family?

In some cultures, having a large family is seen as a symbol of wealth and status. However, it can also have negative impacts, such as financial strain and unequal treatment of wives and children. Additionally, this practice can perpetuate gender inequality and reinforce traditional gender roles.

5. What are the potential consequences of having so many children in terms of resources and environmental impact?

Having a large family can put a strain on resources, such as food, water, and housing. It can also contribute to overpopulation and environmental degradation. In some cases, this can lead to poverty and other social issues within the community.

Back