How can I find Va given Vo and angle A on a 3D sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a unit vector Va within a plane that is perpendicular to the unit vector Vo and intersects the sphere's +Z axis at a certain angle A. The person asking the question is looking for a way to find Va in terms of cartesian coordinates and suggests using an angle transformation to solve the problem. The other person suggests assuming that P is on an axis to simplify the problem and thanks the person for their reply.
Ed
Hi folks, I'm hoping for a little help with something which I'm sure should be pretty easy... but I don't have access to any kind of maths textbooks to look anything up, sadly, so I'm hoping you guys might help?

Let's consider a point P on the surface of a sphere, and define Vo as the unit vector from the origin of the sphere to this point. This vector also describes the normal to the plane which is tangential to the sphere at P.

Now let Va be a (unit) vector within this plane, i.e. Va is perpendicular to Vo, and the angle A describes the angle subtended by Va and the point within the plane which intersects the sphere's +Z axis.

Another way of looking at this would be: if Vz is the vector between P and the Z axis, within the plane normal to Vo, the angle A is between Va and Vz.

So now the question... if Vo and A are known... how do I get Va? (in terms of cartesian co-ords)

edit: made it a little clearer, I hope, and added a diagram drawn in MS Word which I hope should also help.

Attachments

• angle diagram.doc
    26 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It looked easy using an angle transformation... (You know the polar coors? Good.) Just assume that P is on the x-axis (or y if you want) and Va is now perpendicular to x right? Proceed after this and finally transfer (xva, 0, 0) to your P point. (Later, you can find the carthesian coordinates by tr.(so that wasnt `finally`) Sorry for not being clear about the transformations as i have little time.

You're quite right, by assuming it's on an axis it makes it possible to reduce the problem to a couple of 2D basic trig problems. Thanks for the reply.

What is a 3D angle problem?

A 3D angle problem involves finding the measure of an angle within a three-dimensional space, such as in a solid object or in a 3D coordinate system.

How do you solve a 3D angle problem?

To solve a 3D angle problem, you can use geometric principles and trigonometric functions. You may also need to use properties of specific shapes or objects, such as the Pythagorean theorem for right triangles.

What information do I need to solve a 3D angle problem?

In order to solve a 3D angle problem, you will need to know the measurements of the angles and sides of the object or coordinate system, as well as any other relevant information such as the shape and dimensions of the object.

Can a 3D angle problem have more than one solution?

Yes, a 3D angle problem can have multiple solutions depending on the given information and the specific problem being solved. It is important to carefully consider all possible solutions and apply mathematical principles to determine the most accurate one.

How can I check if my solution to a 3D angle problem is correct?

You can check your solution to a 3D angle problem by using a calculator or mathematical software to verify the calculations. You can also use geometric principles and equations to confirm that your solution is accurate.