1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Change of Variables

1. May 15, 2006 #1
    Our math professor gave us this take-home project:

Consider a solid in the shape of the region D inside the surface

x^2 / (z^3 - 1)^2 + y^2 / (z^3 + 1)^2 = 1

If the density of the solid at the point (x,y,z) is x^2 + y^2 + z^2 then determine the mass of this solid. A GOOD CHANGE OF VARIABLES WILL HELP.

I understand how to do the problem but I can't get a change of variables that works well. I've tried cylindrical and spherical and many other random ones. Can anyone suggest a good change of variables to use? My teacher said that the cross sections for integration are in the shape of ellipses. Thank you!
    Last edited: May 15, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In problems which are of the form u^2 + v^2 = 1, you will frequently find that a useful change of variable is something like u = r\cos(\theta) and v= r\sin(\theta). Did you try this?

4. May 17, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

If you cross-multiply the given equation, you arrive at

and so it would seem that a likely useful change of variables would be:

so that the equation then becomes

which is a cone in uvw-space; but I haven't figured out just what the solid in xyz-space is: what is that "region D" that you were given?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?