Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D density plot

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    I am trying to display a 3D density plot for my data [x,y,z] and have tried 'scatter3' however as some data points are the same it does not represent the density very well. There is a cool function called scattercloud on the file exchange, but this is only for [x,y] data. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2
    You could change the color (or marker size) to represent the number of points at the same location. If you're interested I can provide more help for doing this.

I suppose even if you did this, density might not be represented well, as having points that were close but not exactly the same wouldn't result in a color change. Instead, you could divide the volume up into pieces, get a count of the points in each piece, and then assign a corresponding color to each piece.

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4
    Thanks all for your replies. MisterX, how would I go about plotting different colours to represent different densities? Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook