Designing a Space Rover for Mars: A Rookie's Challenge

In summary: CAD software but it is really difficult to make things look good. I don't know how to rotate things or make them at angles. I have been working on this project for a week and I have only made a little bit of progress. I would really appreciate any recommendations you have. In summary, Lonnie is trying to design a space rover for Mars and is having difficulty because he has no design experience and sketch up is not easy to use.
462chevelle
Gold Member
I have to design a space rover for Mars that has to have quite a few operating gadgets on it.
Without giving a lot of details I am using sketch up and needless to say it sucks. I can't even figure out how to make a wheel. and I can't make objects at angles, like shafts or motors or anything. The vehicle has to have a robotic arm that operates. I would just like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a program I can download to make my rover look a little more professional than it does now. I would post a pic of it but its so terrible I would be embarrassed.
By the way I have absolutely no 3d design experience and that is probably half of my problem. I have till December 20th and I started on it last night.

thanks,
Lonnie

Physics news on Phys.org
462chevelle said:
I have to design a space rover for Mars that has to have quite a few operating gadgets on it.
Without giving a lot of details I am using sketch up and needless to say it sucks. I can't even figure out how to make a wheel. and I can't make objects at angles, like shafts or motors or anything. The vehicle has to have a robotic arm that operates. I would just like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a program I can download to make my rover look a little more professional than it does now. I would post a pic of it but its so terrible I would be embarrassed.
By the way I have absolutely no 3d design experience and that is probably half of my problem. I have till December 20th and I started on it last night.

thanks,
Lonnie

What student versions of 3D CAD software do you have available? You should post your efforts so far so that we can offer some suggestions

Last edited:
Here goes

I know this is horrible, but I don't know what to do about it. My lack of design experience really shows when it comes to computer 3d models. I am using sketch up 3d

Attachments

• paint version of rover prototype.jpg
    paint version of rover prototype.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 348

1. What is the purpose of designing a space rover for Mars?

The purpose of designing a space rover for Mars is to explore the Martian surface, collect data and samples, and potentially search for signs of past or present life. This can provide valuable information about the history and potential habitability of the planet.

2. What are the main challenges in designing a space rover for Mars?

The main challenges in designing a space rover for Mars include the harsh environment, extreme temperatures, dust storms, and communication delays. The rover must also be able to navigate rough terrain and collect and analyze samples autonomously.

3. How is the space rover powered?

The space rover is typically powered by solar panels, which convert sunlight into electricity. This is the most reliable and efficient source of power on Mars, as the planet receives a significant amount of sunlight.

4. How is the space rover controlled and operated?

The space rover is controlled and operated remotely from Earth. Scientists and engineers on Earth send commands and receive data from the rover through a communication system. The rover also has autonomous capabilities to make decisions based on its programming and sensors.

5. How long does it take to design and build a space rover for Mars?

The design and building process of a space rover for Mars can take anywhere from 3-5 years. This includes extensive testing and modifications to ensure the rover can withstand the harsh conditions on Mars and perform its intended tasks effectively.