1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Elastic Collisions

1. Aug 26, 2005 #1
    I am try to write a program with 3D spheres of different masses, radius, velocities and angles. Then use three dimensional elastic collision equations to find the spheres new velocities and angles. The problem is that i cant find any information or equations on 3D elastic collisions, only 1D ones.
    Can someone please point me to where i can find this information.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2005 #2
    3D spheres are planar collisiosn...other 3D objects you will need to learn some analytic mechanics on rigid bodies. Chri Hecker as a good tutorial on 3D collisiosn in physics-based games that runs through the same theory...a little less clean(theory wise) but does what it does.

4. Aug 29, 2005 #3

radou

Homework Helper

i don't think there should be any special rigid-body problems, since you're dealing with spheres...all you have to do is to change the standard 1-D ellastic collision equations into 3-D vector equations, i guess..

5. Aug 29, 2005 #4
    yeah its planar lying on the 2 vectors of motion unless of course your spherse are rotating which i've never dealt with(but happens in billiards though they are confined still to a 2D plane)

6. Aug 29, 2005 #5
    Thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook