3D file manipulation resources

In summary, the conversation was about learning how to manipulate 3D files using programming, specifically in Python and Javascript. The person was asking for resources to learn this skill, particularly for creating algorithmic art. They mentioned the idea of projecting a 2D image onto a 3D surface and manipulating it. The conversation ended with the person looking for online tutorials and books to help them learn.
Avatrin
Hi

I am trying to learn how to manipulate 3D files like obj or stl using programming (I primarily use Python, but also know Javascript). Which resources can I use to learn this?

Technology news on Phys.org
Avatrin said:
I am trying to learn how to manipulate 3D files like obj or stl using programming (I primarily use Python, but also know Javascript). Which resources can I use to learn this?
There's not really such a thing as a 3D file. A computer file is basically a one-dimensional sequence of bytes. A program can be written that treats the data in a file as three dimensional, but logic has to be built into the program to do this.

Can you be more specific about what you're asking?

There are a number of Python packages available for working with 3D files, for example numpy-stl

Well, I am looking for resources to learn to make, for instance, algorithmic art. So, I just need to learn to manipulate 3D objects and save them in those files..

One of the things I am considering is projecting a 2D image onto a 3D surface and do something on that surface depending upon what was on that image.

I am looking for online tutorials and books.

What are "3D file manipulation resources"?

"3D file manipulation resources" refer to software tools and programs that allow users to edit and manipulate 3D files, such as CAD models, 3D scans, or 3D animations. These resources are used by scientists, engineers, and designers to create, modify, and analyze 3D objects for various applications.

What are the common types of 3D file manipulation resources?

There are various types of 3D file manipulation resources, including computer-aided design (CAD) software, 3D modeling software, 3D scanning software, and 3D animation software. Each type of resource has its own features and capabilities, so it's important to choose the right tool for the specific task or project.

What are the benefits of using 3D file manipulation resources?

Using 3D file manipulation resources can greatly enhance the efficiency and accuracy of designing and analyzing 3D objects. These tools allow for precise measurements, realistic visualization, and easy modification of 3D files, saving time and effort compared to traditional manual methods.

Are there any free 3D file manipulation resources available?

Yes, there are many free 3D file manipulation resources available, such as Blender, SketchUp, and FreeCAD. These tools offer a wide range of features and can be a great option for those on a budget or just starting out with 3D design.

Can 3D file manipulation resources be used for scientific research?

Absolutely! 3D file manipulation resources are commonly used in scientific research for tasks such as creating and analyzing 3D models of molecules, structures, and organisms. These resources allow for detailed and accurate representation of complex objects, aiding in the research and understanding of various scientific phenomena.