1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Forces and Moments Problem.

1. Apr 21, 2013 #1
    Forces F1 =j + 3k, F2 = j + k and F3 = 2i + j act at the point (0; 1;2), (1;0;3) and (1;1;0) respectively.
    (a) Find the total force and the total moment about the origin.
    (b) Find an equivalent system of forces consisting of a single force acting at the (1;0;0) together with a couple.

Ok so for (a), I think I have the correct answer. For the total force I simply added up the sum of forces and got a figure of -2i + j + 4k.
    Then for the total moments I got the sum of each of the 3 individual moments. I calculated these by computing the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, with the top row being i j k , middle row being 'r' and the bottom row being the force. I got the total moment to be -4i + j + 2k.

However, I'm stuck on (b). I don't really know where to start. If someone could write out how to do it I'd appreciate it so much because my Applied Mathematics exam is tomorrow !

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You'd do it in the same way as part a)

Except you'd need to get the new 'r' vectors from the points to <1,0,0> instead of the origin.

Use r = rA-rB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted