3D Fourier Transform Question

In summary, the conversation involves finding the function f(r) that satisfies the given integral, with w representing the wave vector. The person attempted to take the Fourier transform but encountered difficulties with roots and exponential terms. The suggested approach is to try polar coordinates instead and the person also asks for general methods for n-dimensional Fourier transformations.
Sina

Homework Statement

What is the function f(r) s.t

[tex] int {d3r.f(r).e-iw.r= 1/w2} [/tex]

where w = (kx,ky,kz)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to directly take Fourier transform of 1/w2 as [tex] \int{ d3r.1/w2.eiw.r}[/tex]. I started integrating dkx bu calculus of residues, calling the denominator kx2 + c2 and evaluating residues at kx = ic with a semi circle in the lower plane etc. However the integral I get from here is with roots and strange exponential terms so I stopped here. So I am asking for a line of approach should I be working in polar coordinates to solve this questions. And also what are some general methods approach n-dimensional Fourier transformations.Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try polar coordinates instead. I haven't worked it out, but that's what I'd try.

1. What is a 3D Fourier Transform?

A 3D Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a three-dimensional function or signal into a representation in the frequency domain. It is used to analyze the components of a three-dimensional signal and is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. How is a 3D Fourier Transform different from a 2D Fourier Transform?

A 3D Fourier Transform is an extension of a 2D Fourier Transform, which is used for analyzing two-dimensional signals. The difference is that a 3D Fourier Transform operates on three-dimensional signals, such as a volume or a 3D image, while a 2D Fourier Transform operates on two-dimensional signals, such as an image or a sound wave.

3. What is the purpose of a 3D Fourier Transform?

The purpose of a 3D Fourier Transform is to break down a three-dimensional signal into its constituent frequencies. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the signal and can be useful in tasks such as filtering, noise reduction, and feature extraction.

4. How is a 3D Fourier Transform calculated?

A 3D Fourier Transform is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves taking the integral of the signal over all three dimensions. This calculation can be done using various software or programming tools, such as MATLAB or Python, which have built-in functions for performing the 3D Fourier Transform.

5. What are the applications of a 3D Fourier Transform?

A 3D Fourier Transform has a wide range of applications, including medical imaging, video compression, seismic analysis, and computer graphics. It is also commonly used in scientific research for analyzing data from experiments and simulations in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.