How do I compute the 3D Fourier transform of a point charge potential?

• Thread starter Marthius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Fourier
In summary, the conversation is about taking the 3-Dimensional Fourier transform of a point charge potential, represented by the integral \int e^{-i\vec{x}\vec{k}} \frac{q}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}d^3x. The speaker is unsure how to approach the integral and asks for a push in the right direction. They also mention changing from Cartesian to spherical coordinates and needing to express the volume differential in some coordinate system, such as spherical.
Marthius
I need to take the 3-Dimensional Fourier transform of a point charge potential. I have an integral of this form, but I am unsure as to how to approach this integral.

[tex]\int e^{-i\vec{x}\vec{k}} \frac{q}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}d^3x[/tex]

A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Introduce the variable [tex]{\vec r}={\vec x}-{\vec x}'[/tex].

Change from Cartesian to spherical coordinates.

It was not in Cartesian coordinates.

Meir Achuz said:
It was not in Cartesian coordinates.

What do you mean by d3x?

d^3x usually just means the volume differential, not necessarily in cartesian coords.

In order to carry out the integration, the volume differential should be expressed explicitly in some coordinate system. I recommend using spherical.

What is a 3D Fourier Transform?

A 3D Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation used to decompose a three-dimensional signal into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, image analysis, and quantum mechanics.

How is a 3D Fourier Transform calculated?

A 3D Fourier Transform is calculated by taking the three-dimensional signal and breaking it down into its individual frequency components using complex numbers. This is done by integrating the signal over all possible values of frequency.

What is the purpose of using a 3D Fourier Transform?

The purpose of using a 3D Fourier Transform is to analyze and understand the frequency components of a three-dimensional signal. It allows scientists to identify specific frequencies present in the signal and their corresponding magnitudes and phases.

What are the applications of a 3D Fourier Transform?

A 3D Fourier Transform has various applications, including image and signal processing, MRI imaging, X-ray crystallography, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics for analyzing and understanding complex data.

What are the limitations of a 3D Fourier Transform?

One limitation of a 3D Fourier Transform is that it assumes the signal is periodic and infinite, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also requires a large amount of computational power and can be sensitive to noise in the signal.