3D from of a potential

In summary, the 3D form of a potential is a representation of a substance's behavior in different environments. It is used in research to predict and understand the behavior of substances, and is more comprehensive than 2D or 1D forms. Common techniques for creating a 3D form include computational simulations, experimental measurements, and theoretical models. Understanding the 3D form of a potential can lead to advancements in technology and improved safety measures for substances.
Morberticus
I have a nifty expression

[tex]\frac{1}{r} = \frac{\rm{erf}(r/\alpha)}{r} + \frac{\rm{erfc}(r/\alpha)}{r}[/tex]

I can manipulate it easily enough in one dimension to get a similar expression for [tex]\frac{1}{|r|}[/tex].

Having a little trouble with the expression in three dimensions though[tex]\frac{1}{|\textbf{r}|}[/tex]

Instinctively I want to write

[tex]\frac{1}{|\textbf{r}|} = \frac{\rm{erf}(|\textbf{r}|/\alpha)}{|\textbf{r}|} + \frac{\rm{erfc}(| \textbf{r} |/\alpha)}{|\textbf{r}|}[/tex]

Can I do this? I think I can, as |r| is just a scalar, right?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for the question! Yes, you are correct in your instinct to write the expression in three dimensions as

\frac{1}{|\textbf{r}|} = \frac{\rm{erf}(|\textbf{r}|/\alpha)}{|\textbf{r}|} + \frac{\rm{erfc}(| \textbf{r} |/\alpha)}{|\textbf{r}|}

As you mentioned, |r| is just a scalar, so it can be treated the same way in both one and three dimensions. The only difference is that in three dimensions, |r| represents the magnitude of a vector, while in one dimension it represents the absolute value of a scalar. So, your expression is perfectly valid and can be used to manipulate and solve problems in three dimensions. Keep up the good work!

1. What is 3D form of a potential?

The 3D form of a potential is a representation of how a particular substance or material behaves when subjected to different forces or conditions. It shows the changes in the substance's energy or other physical properties as it moves through space.

2. How is 3D form of a potential used in research?

Scientists use the 3D form of a potential to understand and predict the behavior of substances in different environments. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science to study and develop new materials and technologies.

3. How is the 3D form of a potential different from a 2D or 1D form?

The 3D form of a potential takes into account the interactions between all three dimensions of space, while a 2D form only considers two dimensions and a 1D form only considers one dimension. This makes the 3D form more accurate and comprehensive in representing the behavior of a substance.

4. What are some common techniques for creating a 3D form of a potential?

Some common techniques for creating a 3D form of a potential include computational simulations, experimental measurements using specialized equipment, and theoretical models based on mathematical equations and principles.

5. How does understanding the 3D form of a potential benefit society?

Understanding the 3D form of a potential can lead to the development of new materials and technologies that can improve our lives, such as more efficient energy sources, advanced medical treatments, and stronger and lighter materials for construction and transportation. It also allows us to better understand and mitigate potential risks and hazards associated with certain substances.