What causes circular rainbow patterns when using 3D glasses and LCD screens?

• Thread starter Jimmy87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Lcd
In summary, the person was looking through 3D glasses at their mobile phone screen and noticed a circular rainbow effect when tilting the screen at different angles. They were trying to figure out the cause of this and thought it could be related to polarized light and interference with the pixels. Another person suggested that different colors on an LCD screen may have different polarizations, which could explain the phenomenon. It was also noted that 3D glasses typically allow circular polarized light through, which could contribute to the effect.
Jimmy87
Hi, I was looking through a pair of 3D glasses last night at my mobile phone screen and saw something really cool. If the screen is lit and you tilt it, at various angles you see a circular rainbow effect. The different colours all form perfect circles around each other. I have been trying to find out what causes this circular rainbow pattern but to no avail. Please could someone explain what's going on? I would guess it would have something to do with the polarised light through the glasses and causing some type of interference with the pixels - but not sure though.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know exactly why, maybe a circular polarizer on the phone screen or the glasses? I don't have 3D glasses but I played with a regular polarizer out of a calculator display in front of many displays and I get different effects ranging from simply color tint changes on many phone screens and certain TVs (my Xperia M and a Galaxy Mini, AMOLED ones like the Galaxy S5 don't have polarizers so a polarizer won't do anything) to the polarizer blocking all light from the screen in a specific rotation in my desktop and laptop monitor (Both Samsung ones) :)

Last edited:
In general, different colors on your LCD screen may have different polarizations (for example, my iPhone has the green polarized in one way and red in another - as a result I see a green or red tinted screen depending on orientation when I look at it with polarizing sunglasses). If I am not mistaken, they are typically linear unlike the 3D glasses that would generally allow circular polarized light through (think about why!). What you are seeing is most probably a result of this.

Likes 1 person

What are 3D glasses and how do they work?

3D glasses are special glasses that allow viewers to see images on an LCD screen in three dimensions. They work by using special lenses to separate the images on the screen, creating the illusion of depth.

What types of 3D glasses are there?

There are two main types of 3D glasses: active shutter glasses and passive glasses. Active shutter glasses use electronic shutters to alternate between the left and right images on the screen, while passive glasses use polarized lenses to separate the images.

Do all LCD screens support 3D?

No, not all LCD screens support 3D. In order to display 3D images, the screen must have a high refresh rate and be able to alternate between left and right images quickly. Some older or lower-quality LCD screens may not have this capability.

Are 3D glasses necessary for watching 3D content on an LCD screen?

Yes, 3D glasses are necessary for viewing 3D content on an LCD screen. Without the glasses, the images on the screen will appear blurry and distorted. The glasses are required to separate the images and create the 3D effect.

Can 3D glasses be used with any type of LCD screen?

No, 3D glasses are designed to work with specific types of LCD screens. Active shutter glasses are typically only compatible with TVs that have an infrared or Bluetooth connection, while passive glasses are only compatible with screens that use polarized technology.