Equation for Equidistant Points Between Two Given Points

In summary, the set of all points equidistant from the points A(-1,5,3) and B(6,2,-2) forms a plane in 3D space. To find the equation of this plane, we can use the dot product and cross product of two lines. The equation given in the book, 14x - 6y - 10z = 9, represents this plane and any point (x,y,z) on this plane will have the same distance to both A and B. Alternatively, we can write an equation that states the distance squared from a point (x,y,z) to (-1,5,3) equals the distance squared to (6,2,-2) and
jaredmt

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the set of all points equidistant from the points A(-1,5,3) and B(6,2,-2). Describe the set

Homework Equations

dot product
cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

the book found the line: 14x - 6y - 10z = 9 which is perpendicular and i guess cuts in half way between the two dots.
i know that u take 2 lines and multiply them using dot product and it needs to equal 0 for them to be perpendicular. but i only know how to do that with 2 lines with endpoints... idk how to do this since i have 2 end points and i need to figure out an equation.

if any1 can explain how the book got that equation or even explain how to get any correct answer, that would definitely help. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks more like a plane in 3D space rather than a line. It's easy to see why it's a plane and not a line, considering two points in space and a line joining them. A plane situated equidistant from the two points and normal to the connecting line would represent the locus of points which are equidistant from the 2 points. You can't represent a line in 3D space with a single equation unless it's a vector equation.

A plane is associated with a normal vector to it and an arbitrary point on the plane. Can you see how to get both?

ok I am not sure what calculations I am supposed to make to get this answer. I am a little clueless right now

does it have anything to do with vector project or scalar project? idk what formulas I am supposed to be using on this 1

If you want to take the direct route just write an equation that says that the distance squared from a point (x,y,z) to (-1,5,3) equals the distance to (6,2,-2) and simplify it.

What is 3D graphing and how is it different from traditional 2D graphing?

3D graphing is a method of representing data or mathematical functions in three-dimensional space. Unlike traditional 2D graphing, which uses two axes to plot data, 3D graphing adds a third axis, allowing for a more comprehensive visual representation of the data.

What is meant by "equidistant" in the context of 3D graphing?

In 3D graphing, equidistant refers to the equal spacing between points or lines on each axis. This ensures that the data is accurately represented and prevents any distortion or misinterpretation of the graph.

What are the benefits of using 3D graphing?

3D graphing allows for a more comprehensive and accurate representation of data, as it takes into account multiple variables and allows for a more detailed analysis. It also makes it easier to identify patterns and trends in the data.

What are some common tools or software used for 3D graphing?

Some common tools and software used for 3D graphing include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Grapher. There are also many online resources and tutorials available for creating 3D graphs using various software programs.

Are there any limitations to 3D graphing?

One limitation of 3D graphing is that it can be more difficult to interpret than traditional 2D graphs, as it adds an extra dimension to the data. Additionally, not all data may be suitable for 3D graphing, and other methods of data representation may be more appropriate depending on the nature of the data.