Is ψ(x)ψ(y)ψ(z) a solution to the isotropic harmonic oscillator potential?

In summary, the ground-level and first-excited-level energies of an isotropic harmonic oscillator are given by:-(-ħ²/2mψ(x)) (d²ψ(x) / dx²) + 0.5k'x² = Ex, and so on for y and z.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

An isotropic harmonic oscillator has the potential energy function U = 0.5 k (x²+y²+z²). (Isotropic means that the force constant is the same in all three coordinate directions.)

(a) Show that for this potential, a solution to the three dimensional time-independent Schrodinger equation is given by ψ = ψ(x)ψ(y)ψ(z). In this expression, ψ(x) is a solution to the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator Schrödinger equation. The functions ψ(y) and ψ(z) are analogous one-dimensional wave functions for oscillations in the y- and z-directions. Find the energy associated with this ψ.

(b) From your results in part (a) what are the ground-level and first-excited-level energies of the three dimensional isotropic oscillator?

(c) Show that there is only one state (one set of quantum numbers) for the ground level but three states for the first excited level.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(Sorry for my poor English.)

I don't know even how to approach to this problem. I considered that a function of several variables can be written as a product of three functions of a single variable each one. I called these functions ψ(x), ψ(y), ψ(z). Then I wrote the 3d Schrod. Eq. substituting for ψ(x,y,z), and I divided both sides by that product:

-(ħ²/2m) ((1 / ψ(x)) ∂² ψ(x) / ∂x² + ...) + U(x,y,z) = E

I've read that the energy E cannot depend on the values of x, y, or z. Then I guess each term
[ -(ħ²/2m) ((1 / ψ(x)) ∂² ψ(x) / ∂x² ] + [ -(ħ²/2m) ((1 / ψ(y)) ∂² ψ(y) / ∂y² + ...) ] + ... must be equal to a correspondent constant that doesn't depend on the direction. I called such constants Kx, Ky and Kz. So ψ(x)Kx + ψ(y)Ky + ψ(z)Kz + U(x,y,z) = E.

But I'm not sure about my answer. In fact, I think it's wrong. :H

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kent,

Note that you don't have to find the solution any more, you just have to show that the given ##\Psi## is a solution
So you assume ψ = ψ(x)ψ(y)ψ(z) With ##H\Psi(x) = E_x\Psi(x)## etc.
and show that it satisfies ##H\Psi = E\Psi##, i.e. write out ##H\Psi##

Hi,
Thank you for your answer. After reading your hint I've tried this:

I started supposing that ψ(x)ψ(y)ψ(z) satisfies the Schrödinger equation and can be written as a single wave function ψ.

[ (-ħ²/2m) ψ(y)ψ(z) d² ψ(x) / dx² ] + [ (-ħ²/2m) ψ(x)ψ(z) d² ψ(y) / dy² ] + [ (-ħ²/2m) ψ(x)ψ(y) d² ψ(z) / dz² ] + 0.5 k'x² + 0.5 k'y² +0.5 k'z² = E ψ(x)ψ(y)ψ(z)
I divided both sides by ψ(x)ψ(y)ψ(z) and added the terms as follows:

(-ħ²/2mψ(x)) (d²ψ(x) / dx²) + 0.5k'x² = Ex, and so on for y and z.

Then Ex + Ey + Ez = E, the total energy. So ψ(x)ψ(y)ψ(z) is a solution. Is it right?

1. What is a 3D harmonic oscillator?

A 3D harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion in three dimensions, similar to a mass attached to a spring. It is described by the harmonic oscillator potential, which is a quadratic function of the position variables.

2. How is a 3D harmonic oscillator different from a 1D or 2D harmonic oscillator?

A 3D harmonic oscillator differs from a 1D or 2D harmonic oscillator in that it has three independent position variables and three corresponding momentum variables. This means that the motion of the system occurs in three dimensions instead of just one or two.

3. What is the equation of motion for a 3D harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a 3D harmonic oscillator is given by d2x/dt2 + (ω2x)/m = 0, where x is the position variable, ω is the angular frequency, and m is the mass of the system.

4. What are some real-life examples of a 3D harmonic oscillator?

Some real-life examples of a 3D harmonic oscillator include atoms in a crystal lattice, vibrations of molecules, and the motion of a pendulum in three dimensions.

5. How is the energy of a 3D harmonic oscillator related to its frequency?

The energy of a 3D harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the energy of the system. This relationship is expressed by the equation E = (n + 1/2)hf, where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency.