1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Least Squares Fit and some Linear Algebra

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to write an algorithm to calculate the Least Squares Fit Line of a 3D data set. After doing some research and using Google, I came across this document, http://www.udel.edu/HNES/HESC427/Sphere Fitting/LeastSquares.pdf (section 2 in page 8) that explains the algorithm for
    It uses something from Linear Algebra I have never seen called Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) to find the direction cosines of the line of best fit. What is SVD? What is a direction cosine? The literal angle between the x,y,z axes and the line?

For simplicity's sake, I'm starting with the points (0.5, 1, 2) ; (1, 2, 6) ; (2, 4, 7). So the A matrix, as denoted by the document is (skipping the mean and subtractions)
    [tex]A = \left \begin{array} {ccc}
    [-1.6667 & -1.1667 & -2.8333 \\
    -2.0000 & -1.0000 & 3.0000 \\
    -2.3333 & -0.3333 & 2.6667 \end{array} \right][/tex]

and the SVD of A is
    [tex]SVD(A) = \left \begin{array} {ccc}
    [6.1816 \\
    0.7884 \\
    0.0000 \end{array} \right][/tex]
    but the document says "This matrix A is solved by singular value decomposition. The smallest singular value
    of A is selected from the matrix and the corresponding singular vector is chosen which
    the direction cosines (a, b, c)" What does that mean?

Any help will greatly be appreciated. Note: I am working in MATLAB R2009a

Thank you in advance!

*NOTE* I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG MATH FORUM AND CANNOT DELETE THE FIRST POST.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted