Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Matrix Orientation issue

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    I am attempting to write a C++ routine that will take a rectangle cube 3"x 2"y 1"z and rotate it by 90 degrees at a time. It then should display what side and direction it is in. Just how do you tell what side and orientation it is in? Seems like depending on what direction I go it gives me different results using the euler matrix. 6 sides 4 directions each gives me a multiple of 24 possible outputs. But going in different direction gives me incorrect results.

I have created a spreadsheet to help with the 3d matrix programming. Thought others might like it and make it better. Please re-post the results or enjoy. Either way please help me understand how I can tell what face I am looking at.

My use is for spindle to workpiece orientation. If I rotate the spindle orientation from vertical to horizontal. I have a new face orientation, to place the workpiece cube zero point in the correct orientation I will need to spin the block around. Keeping track of these is confusing.

There must be away in the matrix to compute the orientation. Or do I use a new matrix to compute the sine cosine components and keep track of the directions the cube is spinning?

(directions up, rotate left, rotate right, down)
    A = top side
    B = front side
    C = left side
    D = back side
    E = right side
    F = bottom side

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted