3D model of the Colorado lounge

In summary, the speaker spent almost a month creating a CGI model of the Colorado Lounge from the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado, which was featured in the film "The Shining". They were inspired by the room's unique design and decided to make it using Blender 2.79 and the Cycles render engine. The renderings captured a soft light from the tall windows, which were created using an emission surface shader and a transparent shader with a fresnel effect. The project also included over 1GB of HD textures.
ElliotSmith
This took me almost a month to make.

It's a CGI model (blender 2.79) of the Colorado lounge, which is part of the Stanley hotel in Estes Park, Colorado.

The room was featured in the 1980 Stanley Kubrick horror film "the shining". I was plumb out of ideas for what to make next in 3D, but I saw the movie recently on TV and really liked the look and decor of the room and decided to make it.

Blender 2.79, cycles render, 3,000 cycles.

Last edited:
Likes Craftek_Ana, Klystron, Borek and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting fourth wall effect, specifically the shadows formed where light from the windows intersects furniture. As a painter I would plan perspective and draw shadows based on the light sources from the visible windows likely ignoring light coming from behind the observer. Your renderings capture a diaphanous soft light from the tall windows around the Colorado Lounge not unlike a thin film of water on flat surfaces.

Likes ElliotSmith
Klystron said:
Interesting fourth wall effect, specifically the shadows formed where light from the windows intersects furniture. As a painter I would plan perspective and draw shadows based on the light sources from the visible windows likely ignoring light coming from behind the observer. Your renderings capture a diaphanous soft light from the tall windows around the Colorado Lounge not unlike a thin film of water on flat surfaces.

Thanks!

Outside the windows there is a very large flat plane with an emission surface shader applied to it with the light strength set to 7. This is the only light source in the entire scene.

The windows are not a glass bsdf, but rather a transparent shader, which has a fresnel effect on the outside light coming into the room. Another 3D artist recommended this to me on a blender artist forum.

It has almost 1GB over HD textures.

Likes Klystron

1. What is a 3D model of the Colorado lounge?

A 3D model of the Colorado lounge is a digital representation of the lounge that is created using computer software. It allows for a realistic and accurate visualization of the space, including the layout, furniture, and other details.

2. How is a 3D model of the Colorado lounge created?

A 3D model of the Colorado lounge is created using specialized software, such as CAD (Computer-Aided Design) or BIM (Building Information Modeling). These programs allow for the creation of 3D models by using 2D plans and elevations, or by directly drawing and designing within the software.

3. What are the benefits of using a 3D model of the Colorado lounge?

There are several benefits to using a 3D model of the Colorado lounge. It allows for a more accurate visualization of the space, which can aid in the planning and design process. It also allows for easy modifications and adjustments to be made before any physical construction takes place. Additionally, 3D models can be used for virtual tours and presentations to showcase the lounge to potential clients or stakeholders.

4. How can a 3D model of the Colorado lounge be used in the design process?

A 3D model of the Colorado lounge can be used in the design process in several ways. It can help designers and architects to better understand the space and make more informed decisions about layout, materials, and furnishings. The model can also be used to communicate design ideas to clients and stakeholders and receive feedback for further improvements.

5. Can a 3D model of the Colorado lounge be used for construction purposes?

Yes, a 3D model of the Colorado lounge can be used for construction purposes. It provides an accurate representation of the space and can be used by contractors and builders to understand the design and construction plans. It can also help to identify potential issues or conflicts before the actual construction begins, saving time and resources.

Back