3D model of the Colorado lounge

ElliotSmith
This took me almost a month to make.

It's a CGI model (blender 2.79) of the Colorado lounge, which is part of the Stanley hotel in Estes Park, Colorado.

The room was featured in the 1980 Stanley Kubrick horror film "the shining". I was plumb out of ideas for what to make next in 3D, but I saw the movie recently on TV and really liked the look and decor of the room and decided to make it.

Blender 2.79, cycles render, 3,000 cycles.

Last edited:
Likes Craftek_Ana, Klystron, Borek and 1 other person

Answers and Replies

Klystron
Gold Member
Interesting fourth wall effect, specifically the shadows formed where light from the windows intersects furniture. As a painter I would plan perspective and draw shadows based on the light sources from the visible windows likely ignoring light coming from behind the observer. Your renderings capture a diaphanous soft light from the tall windows around the Colorado Lounge not unlike a thin film of water on flat surfaces.

Likes ElliotSmith
ElliotSmith
Interesting fourth wall effect, specifically the shadows formed where light from the windows intersects furniture. As a painter I would plan perspective and draw shadows based on the light sources from the visible windows likely ignoring light coming from behind the observer. Your renderings capture a diaphanous soft light from the tall windows around the Colorado Lounge not unlike a thin film of water on flat surfaces.

Thanks!

Outside the windows there is a very large flat plane with an emission surface shader applied to it with the light strength set to 7. This is the only light source in the entire scene.

The windows are not a glass bsdf, but rather a transparent shader, which has a fresnel effect on the outside light coming into the room. Another 3D artist recommended this to me on a blender artist forum.

It has almost 1GB over HD textures.

Suggested for: 3D model of the Colorado lounge

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views