Effortlessly Convert 3D Models to XYZ Coordinates | Affordable Software Options

In summary, Blender is a free and open-source 3D creation software that can be used to make simple 3D models using common geometric shapes and text. It also has the functionality to convert 3D models into a list of xyz coordinates, making it a suitable option for your needs. The software has a large and active community for support and troubleshooting.
jgordo32
Hi guys, I'm looking for the following functionality out of a free, or cheap software. I'm very close using google sketchup but I appear to have hit a snag that nobody on their forums can figure out, so I come here.

I want to be able to make a simple 3D model (so far I've just been using the 3D text tool in google sketchup). It will pretty much be limited to common geometric shapes. Cubes, spheres, and various rectangles connected to make letters etc.

Here's the hard part: I need the software to be able to convert the 3D model to a list of xyz coordinates. For example, if I drew a cube at the origin with length 1, I need a way to generate the following list:

Those are the 8 vertices of the cube.

Now let's pretend I used the 3D text tool in google sketch up to make 3D text that says JHU ECE. Not so easy anymore...

Anybody know of software that can do this on the cheap? Actually give me any software you know that can do this because my school has some CAD licenses, but I'm not sure which ones.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, I would recommend checking out Blender for this functionality. It is a free and open-source 3D creation software that is widely used in the scientific community. It has a wide range of tools for creating 3D models, including common geometric shapes and text.

One of its features is the ability to export 3D models as a list of xyz coordinates. To do this, you can use the "Export" function and select "Wavefront (.obj)" as the file type. This will generate a .obj file that contains the list of vertices for your model.

Additionally, Blender has a large and active community that can provide support and assistance if you encounter any issues. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is 3D modeling?

3D modeling is the process of creating three-dimensional digital representations of objects or environments using specialized software. It allows for the creation of realistic and detailed images that can be rotated and viewed from any angle.

2. What are the different types of 3D modeling?

There are several types of 3D modeling, including polygonal modeling, NURBS modeling, and sculpting. Polygonal modeling involves creating 3D objects using polygons, while NURBS modeling uses curves and surfaces to create more organic shapes. Sculpting is a more hands-on approach that involves digitally sculpting the shape of an object using tools similar to those used in traditional sculpting.

3. What industries use 3D modeling?

3D modeling is used in a variety of industries, including film and animation, video game design, architecture, product design, and medical imaging. It can also be used for scientific visualization and virtual reality applications.

4. What are the benefits of 3D modeling?

3D modeling allows for the creation of highly detailed and realistic images that can be used for visualizing and prototyping designs, creating animations and special effects, and testing and simulating real-world scenarios. It also allows for faster and more cost-effective production compared to traditional methods.

5. What skills are needed for 3D modeling?

To be successful in 3D modeling, one should have a strong understanding of geometry and spatial relationships, as well as proficiency in using 3D modeling software. Attention to detail, creativity, and problem-solving skills are also important for creating high-quality 3D models.