Can I Use Blender to Create Weapon Models for Fallout 4?

In summary, this person started out using a free 3D program called Blender, and then used it to create a model for a weapon for a video game. They say that with time and practice, you can create anything you want.
ElliotSmith
This is only the third thing that I've created in 3D modeling.

If you played the PC video game Quake 2 back in 1998, then you might remember this.

https://imgur.com/a/dqEqD

Physics news on Phys.org
ElliotSmith said:
This is only the third thing that I've created in 3D modeling.

If you played the PC video game Quake 2 back in 1998, then you might remember this.

https://imgur.com/a/dqEqD
Could you say more about how you created these drawings/models?

I used a free 3D program called Blender.

berkeman said:
Could you say more about how you created these drawings/models?

Whoops, sorry for the double post.

ElliotSmith said:
I have Blender, but I don't use it too often, as I started my 3D modeling with Pov-Ray and then added Moray as an editor and it's what I've come the most comfortable with.
Here's an couple of examples of some weapons I rendered. (A collection of various SF weapons)

arsenalrifle2.jpg

arsenal_handgun.jpg

I've been at it for almost 20 yrs now, but still remember when I first started out. If you had told me then that I would ever be able to produce anything close to the last two images, I would have not believed you . Keep up the good work and you'll be be amazed by what you can produce with time and practice.

Attachments

• arsenalrifle2.jpg
    arsenalrifle2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 265
  • arsenal_handgun.jpg
    arsenal_handgun.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 404
Thanks!

The railgun model I made was actually meant to be used as a weapon mod for the PC video game Fallout 4. But I only know how to do 3D modeling, and just barely.

Someone told me that you can use blender to create weapon models, and then use other programs and eventually get it into the game. But that's outside my technical expertise.

1. What is Blender?

Blender is a free, open-source 3D modeling software used for creating 3D animations, visual effects, and video games. It is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.

2. Is Blender difficult to learn?

Blender has a steep learning curve, but there are many online tutorials and resources available to help beginners get started. With practice and dedication, anyone can learn how to use Blender for 3D modeling.

3. Can Blender be used for professional projects?

Yes, Blender is a powerful tool that has been used in various professional projects, including films, TV shows, and video games. Many studios and companies prefer Blender for its cost-effectiveness and customizable features.

4. What file formats can be imported and exported in Blender?

Blender supports various file formats for importing and exporting, including .obj, .fbx, .stl, .dae, and .abc. It also has its own native file format, .blend, which is recommended for saving and sharing projects.

5. Are there any limitations to what can be created with Blender?

No, there are no limitations to what can be created with Blender. It has a wide range of tools and features that can be used for creating complex 3D models, animations, and simulations. The only limitation would be the user's skill and creativity.