1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Printing Plasma

Tags:
  1. Sep 24, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone,

i recently saw some videos were a microwave laser (gaser) was used to create a plasma in midair. So the first part of my question is, if you could handle the ray fast enough, could one print 3dimensional-layered plasmastructures into non-disturbed atmosphere? If no, what did i not comprehend ?
    Link to Assumption basis:

Further looking into this direction of thought, i also discoverd that some proposed to use lasers to create plasma-channels that would transport big currents (Lightning).. and so my follow up question, only valid if the first one passes of course, would be. Can you have a current charge through a plasma construct printed into midair?
    Link to Assumption basis:
    http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-03/lightning-can-strike-twice-if-you-have-some-lasers

If yes, again, then where do you get the lasers for a little experimen? Also is it legal to build fusion reactors and railguns at home?

Thank you for your thoughts and time

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2014 #2
    One problem is that the plasma structures would dissipate pretty much immediately after the laser pulse.

4. Sep 26, 2014 #3
    Is there a way to support them long enough to be usefull?
    Or reprint them fast enough?

5. Sep 29, 2014 #4
    Anybody any Links on supporting plasmas that i can read upon?

6. Sep 30, 2014 #5
  7. Sep 30, 2014 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Containing a plasma and making it do what you want is, generally, incredibly difficult, just ask the guys working on Fusion Power. If you're wanting to create channels in air, you're simply not going to be able to control them very well.

Lasers with the power you'd need are probably extremely expensive and may not be available for sale to the general public.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook