1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3d Shapes (Multivar. Calc)

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give a formula for a function whose graph is described. Sketch it using a computer or a calculator.

A cone of circular cross-section opening downward and with its vertex at the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    I know how to draw the cone and the properties of a cone, so that's not the issue here.

I know the formula of a cone is [tex]x^2 + y^2 = z^2[/tex] but the problem asks for the cone opening downward with the vertex at the origin (so the domain of z would be [0,-inf)). So would the formula simply be [tex]-(x^2 + y^2) = -z^2[/tex]? Furthermore, since they want circular cross-sections, would I insert a constant (i.e. "a") in the formula such that it's something like [tex]-(a^2 +y^2) = -z^2[/tex]?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm thinking that the formula is [tex]-(x^2 + y^2) = -z^2[/tex] since they want the cone opening downward with the vertex at the origin.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x2+y2=z2 gives the full cone opening both upwards and downwards. Multiplying both sides by -1 doesn't change that. What you need to do is solve for z and only take negative values.

[Edit] I didn't notice your cross section question. The cross sections are obtained by setting z = constant.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook