1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D slope

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    I know that slope in 2D = $$\frac{\Delta{y}}{\Delta{x}}$$.

But what about 3D slope?

I mean for every line in 3D there are 3 2D slopes. Those are:
    $$\frac{\Delta{y}}{\Delta{x}}$$ $$\frac{\Delta{y}}{\Delta {z}}$$ and $$\frac{\Delta{z}}{\Delta{x}}$$

But how do you combine those 3 slopes to form 1 3D slope?

And if you think this is homework it isn't. I am just trying to extrapolate the concept of the slope of a line to lines in higher dimensions.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2
    There are an infinite amount of directions to have slope on a 3-D graph. You may want to look into partial derivatives (which are generally confined to 2 different directions). However, using what's called directional derivatives, you can find the slope in any direction.

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3
    But for a single line instead of a plane there is 1 and only 1 direction for the slope because of the line being described in 3D instead of 2D. This means that there should be a way to combine the 3 2D slopes into 1 3D slope.

5. Sep 11, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might want to express your 3-D line parametrically or use a vector representation.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Line.html

While the slope of a line in 2-dimensions is a handy thing to know, things get more complicated in 3-dimensions, which is why different formulations for the equation of the line in space have been adopted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook