1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Solid Deformation Problem

1. Mar 29, 2015 #1
    Hi all,
    Having some trouble getting the final answer on the question below, the fact that the cube doesn't have a force in the x direction is throwing me off. Once I fine the force(??) in the x-direction, I can just use the generalized Hooke's law to obtain strain? Any help is appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Capture_zpsav4w8qd6.jpg

2. Equations in upload of solution.

See my solution for relevant equations.
    http://[ATTACH=full]199721[/ATTACH]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2015 #2
    In the block is constrained in the x-direction, what is the strain in the x-direction? What does your first equation give you in this case?

Chet

4. Mar 29, 2015 #3
    So I am assuming Sigma(x) = 0, therefore, Strain(x) = -1.00005 x10^-4

However the question says to find the stress in the x-direction, which I have taken as 0?

Or, do I sub Epsilon(x) as 0 and therefore would be able to find Sigma(x) from the first equation? After second thought I think this is correct due to 0 deformation in the x direction hence strain is 0?

5. Mar 29, 2015 #4
    How can you say that the strain in the x direction is not zero, when the problem statement says that strain in the x direction is zero? What does the word "constrained" mean to you?

Chet

6. Mar 29, 2015 #5
    I realised this soon after I posted my previous response and edited it soon afterwards, it make sense now.

Due to the tensile force in the y direction and the compressive force in the z direction the block obviously expands in the z direction and contracts in the y direction? Therefore, shouldn't Epsilon(y) be negative and Epsilon(z) be positive. Is this done by changing the sign (+ or -) for the Sigma values in the generalised Hooke's law? I.E. Sigma(y) should in fact be -50MPa?

You can see the two different answers on either side of my page.
    717d3a72-5a50-4632-aa33-2d243fc07cc9_zpscik2qcsj.jpg

7. Mar 29, 2015 #6
    You have a sign error in the calculation of the stress in the y direction. It should be negative.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted