1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Statics Help

1. Aug 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the coordinate direction angles for F3 = 650lb are α = 110∘, β = 25∘ and γ = 76∘, determine the magnitude of the resultant force acting on the eyebolt.

FIGURE: p80.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    ????

3. The attempt at a solution
    ????

New semester, and so happy to start with a statics instructor I can't understand or follow . . . I seriously don't even know where to begin and neither does anyone else (we've tried lots, multiple times). I know there's some formulas like cos^2α + cos^2β + cos^2γ = 1 or something, but I don't even know where I would start.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The direction angles are related to the resultant force and axial components by the relationships:

##cos(\alpha) = \frac{F_{3_x}}{F_3}##
    ##cos(\beta) = \frac{F_{3_y}}{F_3}##
    ##cos(\gamma) = \frac{F_{3_z}}{F_3}##

4. Aug 26, 2014 #3
    Ah, learning more here than so far in class. Love it. Using those relationships, I got the vector components of F3, and using trig, got the vector components of F1 and F2, added the components together, and took the magnitude. Done √.

And the rest of the problem is just asking for alpha, beta, and gamma, which I now know! Thanks! I'll probably be back with a new thread in a bit unless the next problem uses the same relationships . . .

5. Aug 30, 2015 #4
    How did you get the vector components of F1?

6. Aug 30, 2015 #5
    To find F1
    700cos(30)= 606 i
    700sin(30)= 350 j
    700cos(90)= 0 k

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted