Calculating Resultant Force of F3 in 3D Space

In summary, By using the given coordinate direction angles for F3 and the relationships between direction angles and resultant force and axial components, the magnitude of the resultant force acting on the eyebolt can be determined. This can also help in finding the vector components of F1 and F2, and ultimately finding the magnitude of the resultant force. Trigonometric calculations can be used to find the vector components and the magnitude.
Bluestribute

Homework Statement

If the coordinate direction angles for F3 = 650lb are α = 110∘, β = 25∘ and γ = 76∘, determine the magnitude of the resultant force acting on the eyebolt.

FIGURE:
p80.jpg

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

?

New semester, and so happy to start with a statics instructor I can't understand or follow . . . I seriously don't even know where to begin and neither does anyone else (we've tried lots, multiple times). I know there's some formulas like cos^2α + cos^2β + cos^2γ = 1 or something, but I don't even know where I would start.

Physics news on Phys.org
The direction angles are related to the resultant force and axial components by the relationships:

##cos(\alpha) = \frac{F_{3_x}}{F_3}##
##cos(\beta) = \frac{F_{3_y}}{F_3}##
##cos(\gamma) = \frac{F_{3_z}}{F_3}##

Likes 1 person
Ah, learning more here than so far in class. Love it. Using those relationships, I got the vector components of F3, and using trig, got the vector components of F1 and F2, added the components together, and took the magnitude. Done √.

And the rest of the problem is just asking for alpha, beta, and gamma, which I now know! Thanks! I'll probably be back with a new thread in a bit unless the next problem uses the same relationships . . .

How did you get the vector components of F1?

To find F1
700cos(30)= 606 i
700sin(30)= 350 j
700cos(90)= 0 k

1. How do you calculate the resultant force of F3 in 3D space?

To calculate the resultant force of F3 in 3D space, you will need to use vector addition. This involves finding the sum of the individual components of F3 in the x, y, and z directions. The magnitude and direction of the resultant force can then be determined using trigonometric functions.

2. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities have only magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. In the context of calculating resultant force, F3 would be considered a vector quantity because it has both magnitude and direction in 3D space.

3. Can resultant force be negative?

Yes, resultant force can be negative. The sign of the resultant force depends on the direction of the force vector in relation to the coordinate axes. If the force vector is in the opposite direction of the coordinate axes, it will result in a negative resultant force.

4. What is the principle of superposition in calculating resultant force?

The principle of superposition states that the resultant force acting on an object is equal to the sum of all individual forces acting on that object. This principle is used when calculating the resultant force of F3 in 3D space, as it involves finding the sum of the individual components of F3 in each direction.

5. Can the magnitude of the resultant force be greater than the sum of the individual forces?

Yes, the magnitude of the resultant force can be greater than the sum of the individual forces. This can occur when the individual forces are acting in different directions, resulting in a diagonal force vector with a greater magnitude than the individual forces.