Solving Horizontal Beam & Cable System: F, W & T1, T2

In summary: So you're getting the hang of it. Keep up the good work!In summary, the Homework Statement is a drawing of a horizontal beam with a circular joint at tip A and 2 cables at points B and C. At tip C, there is a vertical force acting. The forces acting on the cables and the reaction force at the joint are unknown.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/8066/graspcc.jpg [Broken]

the uniform horizontal beam AC, is held at tip A by a circular joint, and at point B it's held by 2 cables, BD and BE, as described in the drawing. At tip C of the beam acts a vertical force, F:

Given

W = 1 [kN]
F = 4 [kN]

Calculate the forces acting on the cables BE and BD and the reaction force at joint A.

Ignore the cables weight.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get stuck at finding T1 and T2, where the 2 eq 2 unknowns cancel each other out

http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/6979/20031xx.jpg [Broken]

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4901/20032xx.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
points D,E are in plane of A or something else?
EDIT: ok ... i got it from your solution :)

Good morning, Fp! :smile:

Say, that a sexy problem! :blushing:

So you have 2 threads keeping that humongous thing up.
But somehow the forces in these 2 threads cancel out? :confused:

How about checking your visual cues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you consider all 3 dimensions?

Otherwise it may yet fall! :eek:

Why not consider a geometrical approach? You have the relative proportions for the tensions in the x,y,z directions. Since you've already solved for one of the components, you can scale for the rest accordingly.

I like Serena said:
Did you consider all 3 dimensions?

Otherwise it may yet fall! :eek:

Thanks, solved it! :smile: And, after that, I solved 5 more 3D statics problem without a hitch! I think I'm getting the hang of it :biggrin:

Why not consider a geometrical approach? You have the relative proportions for the tensions in the x,y,z directions. Since you've already solved for one of the components, you can scale for the rest accordingly.

Yep, always an option :smile: thank you.

Femme_physics said:
Thanks, solved it! :smile: And, after that, I solved 5 more 3D statics problem without a hitch! I think I'm getting the hang of it :biggrin:

Good! :smile:

What is a horizontal beam and cable system?

A horizontal beam and cable system is a structural engineering system used to support loads such as buildings or bridges. It consists of a horizontal beam or girder that is supported by cables attached to vertical support structures.

What are F, W, T1, and T2 in this system?

In this system, F represents the applied force or load, W represents the weight of the beam, and T1 and T2 represent the tension forces in the cables.

How do you solve for the tension forces in the cables?

To solve for the tension forces, you can use the equations of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in the x and y directions must equal zero. By setting up and solving these equations, you can determine the tension forces in the cables.

What is the importance of solving for the tension forces in a horizontal beam and cable system?

Solving for the tension forces is important because it ensures that the system is in a state of static equilibrium, meaning that all forces are balanced and the system is stable. Knowing the tension forces is also crucial for determining the strength and stability of the system.

Are there any assumptions made when solving for the tension forces in this system?

Yes, there are a few assumptions that are typically made when solving for the tension forces in a horizontal beam and cable system. These include assuming that the beam is perfectly rigid, the cables are perfectly flexible, and there is no friction between the beam and the cables.