1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Statics

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    Can anyone please help me? I don't know where to start. I've been trying different things for a while now and can't figure it out.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2
  4. Jun 27, 2011 #3
    Yes this is homework, and I'm not really sure about how to resolve vectors into components in 3D..

5. Jun 27, 2011 #4
    deleted.

6. Jun 27, 2011 #5
    Well if you can do 2D then you can do 3D. It's no inherently more dificult, just a little more complicated because you now have three components, not 2.

What do you know about the Force equilibrium and Moment equilibrium of three forces that meet at a point when they are coplanar (ie 2D)

7. Jun 27, 2011 #6
    I've only just started my Statics class, so I don't know very much about it.. but I think I figured it out. I just needed to take the components of F1 plus the corresponding components of the other forces equal to 0?

So it would be:

500cos(alpha)=0
    alpha=90

500cos(beta)-300=0
    beta= 53.1

500cos(gamma)-200=0
    gamma= 66.4

8. Jun 28, 2011 #7
    Yes if you have realised that two of the forces are along the y and z axes respectively so the resultant of all components along the x axis must be zero.

so 500 cos alpha = zero

and the rest follows as you say.

Hopefully you feel better for having worked this out for yourself with a little prompting.

Please note the forum policy on homework; this thread is a sticky at the top of this forum.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8128

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook