Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Statics

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    Can anyone please help me? I don't know where to start. I've been trying different things for a while now and can't figure it out.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2
  4. Jun 27, 2011 #3
    Yes this is homework, and I'm not really sure about how to resolve vectors into components in 3D..

5. Jun 27, 2011 #4
    deleted.

6. Jun 27, 2011 #5
    Well if you can do 2D then you can do 3D. It's no inherently more dificult, just a little more complicated because you now have three components, not 2.

What do you know about the Force equilibrium and Moment equilibrium of three forces that meet at a point when they are coplanar (ie 2D)

7. Jun 27, 2011 #6
    I've only just started my Statics class, so I don't know very much about it.. but I think I figured it out. I just needed to take the components of F1 plus the corresponding components of the other forces equal to 0?

So it would be:

500cos(alpha)=0
    alpha=90

500cos(beta)-300=0
    beta= 53.1

500cos(gamma)-200=0
    gamma= 66.4

8. Jun 28, 2011 #7
    Yes if you have realised that two of the forces are along the y and z axes respectively so the resultant of all components along the x axis must be zero.

so 500 cos alpha = zero

and the rest follows as you say.

Hopefully you feel better for having worked this out for yourself with a little prompting.

Please note the forum policy on homework; this thread is a sticky at the top of this forum.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8128

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook