Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D String Theory?

1. Aug 21, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to formulate a string theory with a 3D string rather than a 1D string. Has this been done? Is this much more complicated?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2008 #2
    I guess you've never noticed all this talk of branes or membranes.
  4. Aug 21, 2008 #3
    Branes are not what I'm thinking about unless a 3D string is equivalent to a 3 brane. I've read the first half of Zwiebach, but I might have forgot about the part where he said a 1 D brane was a string.

Anyway, I'm thinking kind of a real string with width, height and length but just exceedingly small.
  5. Aug 21, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

What you are talking about is a small 3-brane. One can formulate such a theory, but unlike the string theory (1-brane), the quantum theory contains UV divergences that cannot be eliminated, at least not perturbatively. In fact, UV divergences can be (perturbatively) eliminated only for objects extended in 1 dimension (not 0, not 2, ...), which is related to the fact that the conformal group in 2 dimensions (the other dimension is due to the extension in time) is much reacher than in other numbers of dimensions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?