Exploring 3D String Theory: A Closer Look at the Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of formulating a string theory with a 3D string instead of a 1D string. It is mentioned that this has been done before and is more complicated due to the presence of UV divergences. The idea of branes or membranes is also brought up, but it is clarified that a 3D string is not equivalent to a 3 brane. The speaker suggests the possibility of a small 3-brane and explains that unlike the string theory, it cannot be perturbatively eliminated.
PhilosophyofPhysics
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to formulate a string theory with a 3D string rather than a 1D string. Has this been done? Is this much more complicated?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you've never noticed all this talk of branes or membranes.

Well...
Branes are not what I'm thinking about unless a 3D string is equivalent to a 3 brane. I've read the first half of Zwiebach, but I might have forgot about the part where he said a 1 D brane was a string.

Anyway, I'm thinking kind of a real string with width, height and length but just exceedingly small.

What you are talking about is a small 3-brane. One can formulate such a theory, but unlike the string theory (1-brane), the quantum theory contains UV divergences that cannot be eliminated, at least not perturbatively. In fact, UV divergences can be (perturbatively) eliminated only for objects extended in 1 dimension (not 0, not 2, ...), which is related to the fact that the conformal group in 2 dimensions (the other dimension is due to the extension in time) is much reacher than in other numbers of dimensions.

1. What is 3D string theory?

3D string theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the laws of quantum mechanics and general relativity by proposing that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are infinitely thin, vibrating strings.

2. How is 3D string theory different from traditional string theory?

Traditional string theory, also known as 10D string theory, proposes that the universe has 10 dimensions. 3D string theory, on the other hand, suggests that the universe has only 3 dimensions, with the other dimensions being compactified and undetectable at our scale.

3. What are the potential applications of 3D string theory?

3D string theory has the potential to provide a unified theory of physics that can explain the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It may also have implications for understanding the nature of black holes and the early universe.

4. How is 3D string theory being explored and tested?

Due to the complex mathematics and lack of experimental evidence, 3D string theory is primarily being explored through mathematical models and simulations. Some scientists are also working on developing experimental tests that could potentially confirm or disprove aspects of 3D string theory.

5. Is 3D string theory widely accepted by the scientific community?

3D string theory is still a highly debated topic among scientists. While some see it as a promising approach to understanding the universe, others criticize it for lacking empirical evidence and being too abstract. Further research and experimentation are needed to determine its validity.