1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D sum of forces/static object

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A Bob is centered on a force plate attatched to three pulleys of different heights by string. these pulleys are located at 360*, 270* and 140* on the plate with masses to make the bob centered of .075kg, .054, and .080 respectively. The measured angles for each string were 46.4*, 41.5*, and 35.6* The object is to see how close to a theoretical 0 net force equilibrium we can get. The Bob weighs .1375kg.

2. Relevant equations
    string A: .075*9.8=.74N, angle was measured to be arctanΔ6.3/Δ6=46.4*. Then for the horizontal force I have X=.74sin46.4=.54N. Y=.74sin46.4=.51 and I am unsure how to get the Z force. This is where I am stuck. I have completed the previous equations for all 3 strings and for the x and Y vectors by using FTx=ƩFx-Fbob=1.54-1.34=.2, Fty=ƩFy-Fbob=0. I am really stuck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted