Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3d trig problem (i think)

1. Aug 1, 2011 #1
    Hi

Not sure if this is simple or not but I can't figure out how to do it! I am designing a surround that will be constructed by folding a sheet of aluminum. I've got the geometry right in 3d but I want to transpose this to a template. Yes I can measure but I want to solve using maths for two reasons, one because i'm curious and can't do it and two, it will be more accurate.

One side is a mirror of the other, have just labelled for clarity. Distances A and C are the same when constructed (59). A I think will remain 59 but C I am not sure about? Distance B is unknown and what I would like to find, then I can just join a line between the two to obtain length C.

For the bottom triangles, distance D is known.

Let me know if other distances are needed and I will figure whether I know them or not?

Thanks

Will

Template-1.jpg

3d.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2
    Can no one help on this? Am I missing some information?

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your pictures are too unclear.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the response. Stuff always clear in your own head! Now that I know they are not understandable, I try to make them clearer. I have attached some images that will hopefully make it clear. From a perspective viewpoint, this is what I want to end up with.

Surround_exhaust.png

From the Side

Surround_exhaust_side.png

And from the top

Surround_exhaust_top-1.png

The angle (theta) in the side image has been calculated and is known. 7.6 deg.

I am making it out of a sheet of aluminum so I need to know dimensions in 2d so that they give me the desired shape in 2d. The 2d shape will be folded to give the 3d one.

In 2d, I don't know the angles phi and tau from this image.

Surround_exhaust_template.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook