How do I calculate 3 phase power using a CT with only 1 phase measurement?

In summary: Active power would be the power that the machine is using at that moment. Reactive power is the power that the machine is using after it has been used to power something else. Apparent power is the power that the machine appears to be using to people on the outside.
roro36
I have never really studied the heavy side of electrical engineering. We are currently running a machine that runs off 3 phase supply. I want to measure the kW or KVAh on this machine using a CT which is all already set up. The Current at maximum on 1 phase reads at about 130A, and the phases are balanced. So I wanted to know how to calculate the power of the system regarding the fact I'm only measuring 1 phase? Although it seems to me that the current flowing in 1 phase is the tatal current used by the machine in any case, so I would calculate 400V*130A*sqrt3 = Power and just times this by hours and divide by 1000 to kVAh.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, assuming that your phase to phase voltage is 400 volts RMS then that is correct for the KVA-hrs. If you want to know the kW-hrs you'll also need to know the phase angle.

I believe this is wrong if 400V is your phase to phase voltage.

Power in a three-phase system is 3*phase to neutral voltage*current on one phase. So this would be 3*400V*130A.

3-phase system:

Power = 3 x Power of 1-phase = 3 x phase to neutral voltage x current in one phase x power factor

or
Power = sqrt3 x phase to phase voltage x current in one phase x power factor

as phase to phase voltage is sqrt3 x phase to neutral voltage, both equation will result same.

Wasn't sure about the second equation but yeah this looks correct.

And I can't edit my last post but in "3*400V*130A", instead of 400V I meant "400V/sqrt3" if 400V is indeed the phase to phase voltage as mentionned earlier.

there have some already product, that can use CT, measure curren,voltage,PF,Wh etc. there I suggest you can find the meter here http://www.cqbluejay.com/view_50.html

Last edited by a moderator:
which power do you want to measure apparent power, active power, or reactive power?

1. What is 3phase power?

3phase power is a type of electrical power that utilizes three alternating currents that are offset by 120 degrees. This allows for a more efficient and consistent delivery of power compared to single-phase power.

2. How is 3phase power calculated?

3phase power is calculated by multiplying the voltage by the current and the square root of 3. The formula for 3phase power is P = √3 x V x I, where P is the power in watts, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amps.

3. What are the benefits of using 3phase power?

3phase power offers several benefits such as higher power capacity, more efficient use of electricity, and reduced voltage drop. It is also ideal for powering large industrial and commercial equipment.

4. Is 3phase power more expensive than single-phase power?

Yes, 3phase power can be more expensive to install compared to single-phase power. However, it is more cost-effective in the long run due to its efficiency and ability to power larger loads.

5. Can 3phase power be converted to single-phase power?

Yes, 3phase power can be converted to single-phase power using a transformer. However, this process is not recommended as it can cause power quality issues and may not be cost-effective.