1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3rd class degree

1. Jul 24, 2014 #1
    Hello i finished with a 3rd class honours degree in physics from one of the universities of london..I dont want to excuse myself..but since the start of the second term i had some health and mental problems which affected a lot my performance during the term and the examination period...I took the degree because of the extenuating circumstances and i got it with a 3rd...I have no idea what to do now...I would like to do master at the earth sciences as i got a module about geophysics, or a master at finance...can u tell me if i have a chance of getting into a good masters degree or should i look for a job?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2014 #2
    Hi

if you love earth science, you won't miss anything trying to make application. I would not recommend finance.

another option would be to get a MSc with the Open University. If you do well with them, this could be a significant advantage when moving from then onto a regular MSc.

In some universities, (King's College London for example) there is the possibility also to do a "Graduate Diploma" for people who don't have the typical entry requirement of a MSc. Upon completion of the Graduate Diploma, they can do a MSc. Believe me you are not the only one in your case and Universities have really a range of routes for such profiles. have faith and go for Earth Science. :-)

4. Jul 25, 2014 #3
    Do you think it would be better to find a part time masters degree in a university and try to find a job in the same field??Or do u think it would be better to search for a job work a couple of years and then do a MSc in a good university?

5. Jul 26, 2014 #4
    An MSc won't overwrite your undergraduate result, so will likely be somewhat of a waste of money.

What I would advise is trying to get into the world of work and just working your way up. With a 3rd it'll be more difficult to enter the jobs market than with a 2:1 or above, but it's not impossible.

6. Jul 26, 2014 #5
    So it would be a waste of time to continue education you think?? Not even in the future?

7. Jul 26, 2014 #6
    Immediately, yes, because it simply won't make up for your 3rd class degree at undergraduate level.

In the future, when you're established in a career, enrolling on a masters might be worth it, as by that time your undergraduate degree will likely no longer be scrutinised during the recruitment process.

8. Jul 26, 2014 #7
    So, your oponion is that the best thing i could do now it go get a job in the field i like and after many years if i want to do a masters, right?

9. Jul 26, 2014 #8
    Basically, yes.

10. Jul 26, 2014 #9
    and i shouldnt search not even for a part time masters, right?

11. Jul 26, 2014 #10
    and something else...do u think that at the jobs that i will apply they will consider the extenuating circumstances that i had if i mention them?

12. Jul 26, 2014 #11
    I don't know.

13. Jul 27, 2014 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Isn't the idea of extenuating circumstances that it allows for some leniency when giving you a classification. So, you did your exams, got some particular grades, and then the extenuating circumstances were taken into account when the exam board met to give you a classification. I don't think it makes sense to use the extenuating circumstances again once you have a degree, since then it would be like using them twice. Without the extenuating circumstances, you would not have got the 3rd class degree (presumably).

14. Jul 27, 2014 #13
    yes but i asked if i could repeat the modules that i failed...but they gave me the degree with 3rd...most likely i would take at least 2.2 if i could repeat these modules...so because of the extenuating circumstances i got a 3rd so i guessed that i could be good to mention it..

15. Jul 27, 2014 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What if the person you are competing against who got a 2.2 would have got a 2.1 if he could have repeated those courses? Would that be fair?

16. Jul 27, 2014 #15
    No it wouldnt be fair, but i had some health problems that affected the results...anyway as i said before i dont want excuse myself i am just trying to see what i can do to have bettter chances to get a job or a masters that i want

17. Jul 27, 2014 #16
    Did you think about going to America? Most Americans don't understand the difference between a first and a third. They're both B.A. (hons). A good physics GRE score is probably at least as important.

A year or two abroad can be fun. I ended up marrying an American girl and staying here.

:smile:

18. Jul 27, 2014 #17
    If i would accepted i would go...but i guess that the tuition fees must be very expensive..and still i think a 3rd is a 3rd everywhere

19. Jul 27, 2014 #18
    Usually what happens in American physics departments is that the tuition fees are waived if you work for 15ish hours a week as a TA (teaching assistant). That option also pays you enough cash to live on.

20. Jul 27, 2014 #19
    ok i will search for it...but i have to get a visa first and get accepted..

21. Jul 27, 2014 #20
    do you have any site on mind to give it to me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook