Can I Get a Good Masters Degree After 3rd Class Honours Degree?

In summary: I don't know if that would be a good idea for you.I don't know. It really depends on your circumstances.
ntinosmg
Hello i finished with a 3rd class honours degree in physics from one of the universities of london..I don't want to excuse myself..but since the start of the second term i had some health and mental problems which affected a lot my performance during the term and the examination period...I took the degree because of the extenuating circumstances and i got it with a 3rd...I have no idea what to do now...I would like to do master at the Earth sciences as i got a module about geophysics, or a master at finance...can u tell me if i have a chance of getting into a good masters degree or should i look for a job?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

if you love Earth science, you won't miss anything trying to make application. I would not recommend finance.

another option would be to get a MSc with the Open University. If you do well with them, this could be a significant advantage when moving from then onto a regular MSc.

In some universities, (King's College London for example) there is the possibility also to do a "Graduate Diploma" for people who don't have the typical entry requirement of a MSc. Upon completion of the Graduate Diploma, they can do a MSc. Believe me you are not the only one in your case and Universities have really a range of routes for such profiles. have faith and go for Earth Science. :-)

Do you think it would be better to find a part time masters degree in a university and try to find a job in the same field??Or do u think it would be better to search for a job work a couple of years and then do a MSc in a good university?

An MSc won't overwrite your undergraduate result, so will likely be somewhat of a waste of money.

What I would advise is trying to get into the world of work and just working your way up. With a 3rd it'll be more difficult to enter the jobs market than with a 2:1 or above, but it's not impossible.

So it would be a waste of time to continue education you think?? Not even in the future?

Immediately, yes, because it simply won't make up for your 3rd class degree at undergraduate level.

In the future, when you're established in a career, enrolling on a masters might be worth it, as by that time your undergraduate degree will likely no longer be scrutinised during the recruitment process.

So, your oponion is that the best thing i could do now it go get a job in the field i like and after many years if i want to do a masters, right?

Basically, yes.

and i shouldn't search not even for a part time masters, right?

and something else...do u think that at the jobs that i will apply they will consider the extenuating circumstances that i had if i mention them?

I don't know.

ntinosmg said:
and something else...do u think that at the jobs that i will apply they will consider the extenuating circumstances that i had if i mention them?

Isn't the idea of extenuating circumstances that it allows for some leniency when giving you a classification. So, you did your exams, got some particular grades, and then the extenuating circumstances were taken into account when the exam board met to give you a classification. I don't think it makes sense to use the extenuating circumstances again once you have a degree, since then it would be like using them twice. Without the extenuating circumstances, you would not have got the 3rd class degree (presumably).

yes but i asked if i could repeat the modules that i failed...but they gave me the degree with 3rd...most likely i would take at least 2.2 if i could repeat these modules...so because of the extenuating circumstances i got a 3rd so i guessed that i could be good to mention it..

ntinosmg said:
most likely i would take at least 2.2 if i could repeat these modules

What if the person you are competing against who got a 2.2 would have got a 2.1 if he could have repeated those courses? Would that be fair?

No it wouldn't be fair, but i had some health problems that affected the results...anyway as i said before i don't want excuse myself i am just trying to see what i can do to have bettter chances to get a job or a masters that i want

Did you think about going to America? Most Americans don't understand the difference between a first and a third. They're both B.A. (hons). A good physics GRE score is probably at least as important.

A year or two abroad can be fun. I ended up marrying an American girl and staying here.

:smile:

If i would accepted i would go...but i guess that the tuition fees must be very expensive..and still i think a 3rd is a 3rd everywhere

ntinosmg said:
If i would accepted i would go...but i guess that the tuition fees must be very expensive..and still i think a 3rd is a 3rd everywhere

Usually what happens in American physics departments is that the tuition fees are waived if you work for 15ish hours a week as a TA (teaching assistant). That option also pays you enough cash to live on.

ok i will search for it...but i have to get a visa first and get accepted..

do you have any site on mind to give it to me?

Oxvillian said:
Did you think about going to America? Most Americans don't understand the difference between a first and a third. They're both B.A. (hons). A good physics GRE score is probably at least as important.

I don't think this is true. When applying to grad school you are bound to be asked for your GPA. While UK degrees don't really convert, an admissions department will have a rough idea of a conversion, and a third will probably convert to below 2.5 GPA. I can't see that this would get oyu into a decent grad school...

cristo said:
I don't think this is true. When applying to grad school you are bound to be asked for your GPA. While UK degrees don't really convert, an admissions department will have a rough idea of a conversion, and a third will probably convert to below 2.5 GPA. I can't see that this would get oyu into a decent grad school...

In my time here in the US I don't think I've ever asked for or volunteered my class of degree on any application, academic or otherwise. For undergraduate GPA I've always just put "n/a".

But of course the OP would need to offset this lack of information with a high GRE score and a couple of good references. And perhaps more importantly, be sure that he/she is motivated and capable of putting in the work required to achieve a graduate degree.

anyway thank you all...i will consider everythin you said...probably i am going to stay in europe searching for a job

1. Can I still get accepted into a masters program with a third class honours degree?

Yes, many universities and programs will consider candidates with a third class honours degree for their masters programs. However, it may depend on the specific program and university, as well as your overall academic profile and relevant experience.

2. Will having a third class honours degree affect my chances of getting a good masters degree?

Having a third class honours degree may make it more challenging to get accepted into top-ranked or highly competitive masters programs. However, it does not necessarily determine the quality of the degree you will receive. Your performance in the masters program and relevant experience will also play a significant role in obtaining a good degree.

3. Can I improve my chances of getting a good masters degree after a third class honours degree?

Yes, you can improve your chances by taking additional courses or gaining relevant experience in your field of study. You may also consider applying to less competitive programs or universities, as well as showcasing your academic growth and achievements in your application.

4. How will having a third class honours degree impact my career prospects after completing a masters program?

Having a third class honours degree may not necessarily impact your career prospects, as many employers value skills and experience over academic grades. However, it may affect your chances of getting into certain industries or positions that have strict academic requirements.

5. Can I use my masters degree to compensate for my third class honours degree?

Yes, a masters degree can demonstrate your academic growth and commitment to your field of study, potentially compensating for a lower undergraduate degree. However, it is essential to showcase your achievements and skills in your masters program to prove your capabilities to potential employers or academic institutions.