Finishing in 3 Years or Taking a Risk for a Third Major?

• Programs
  • Thread starter bmore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major Years
In summary: If I don't finish my physics/math degree, then I'm essentially stopping someone else from getting a scholarship.
bmore
Because I had a lot of high school credits, I am able to to complete a physics/math dual major in 3 years time. I just got some extra funding from a few scholarships that I cannot apply for graduate school, but would allow me to stay here for an extra year. If I don't, I'm essentially wasting the money.

Could I feasibly finish a 3rd major while I'm here, maybe something with better job outlook (in case my physics career doesn't pan out)? What would be a good choice? Or should I just take some grad classes? I'd like to hear possible suggestions.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, you can either rush through three majors, or take your time through two. I'd recommend taking some grad classes, or maybe taking fewer credit hours and doing research.

Likes Intraverno
bmore said:
Because I had a lot of high school credits, I am able to to complete a physics/math dual major in 3 years time. I just got some extra funding from a few scholarships that I cannot apply for graduate school, but would allow me to stay here for an extra year. If I don't, I'm essentially wasting the money.

Could I feasibly finish a 3rd major while I'm here, maybe something with better job outlook (in case my physics career doesn't pan out)? What would be a good choice? Or should I just take some grad classes? I'd like to hear possible suggestions.

Thank You
like tide detergent said above, I would recommend not doing three majors.
Why don't you take some electives you like, or do some research in topics. Take that extra time to get good at something, not learn the basics of another thing.

You want to learn something, not rush through and get a piece of paper

Likes Dishsoap and Intraverno
bmore said:
Or should I just take some grad classes?
I suggest this option. Focus on doing well in physics/math first, then worry about whether you're going to continue your education after you've gotten a feel for what you want to specialize in.

I'm not really sure I got the point where "going straight for a PhD program" dropped out of the list of options. Not letting grant money going to waste seems like a rather weak argument, assuming PhD positions are paid in <wherever you would do this PhD>. A PhD is so much more fun than boring "do your homework, try to get good grades" undergrad time.

Timo said:
I'm not really sure I got the point where "going straight for a PhD program" dropped out of the list of options. Not letting grant money going to waste seems like a rather weak argument...

Right.

bmore said:
... If I don't, I'm essentially wasting the money...

How do you figure the money will be "wasted"? The scholarship will give it to another deserving student, right? That's a good thing, not a waste...

Just my 2¢

gmax137 said:
Right.
How do you figure the money will be "wasted"? The scholarship will give it to another deserving student, right? That's a good thing, not a waste...

Just my 2¢

I guess I'm looking at the situation in a rather selfish way.

1. Can I really finish my degree in 3 years?

Finishing a degree in 3 years is possible, but it requires careful planning and a heavy course load. It may not be suitable for everyone, as it can be quite challenging and may not leave much room for electives or breaks. It is important to consult with your academic advisor and determine if this option is right for you.

2. Will I miss out on important experiences by finishing in 3 years?

Finishing in 3 years may mean sacrificing some extracurricular activities or study abroad opportunities. However, it can also provide a head start in your career or graduate studies. It ultimately depends on your priorities and goals, and whether you are willing to take on the extra workload.

3. Is it better to take a risk and go for a third major?

Taking a risk and pursuing a third major can be a great opportunity to explore your academic interests and stand out in a competitive job market. However, it may also require a longer time to complete your degree and a heavier course load. It is important to weigh the potential benefits and challenges before making a decision.

4. Will taking a third major affect my GPA?

Adding a third major can put additional strain on your academic workload, potentially impacting your GPA. However, if you are passionate about the subject and willing to put in the extra effort, it is possible to maintain a strong GPA. Again, consulting with your academic advisor can help you determine if this option is feasible for you.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to finishing in 3 years or taking a third major?

As with any major decision, there are potential drawbacks to consider. Finishing in 3 years may mean missing out on some college experiences, while taking a third major may require a longer time to complete your degree. It is important to carefully weigh the pros and cons and determine what is best for your individual situation.