1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3rd Degree

1. Jul 13, 2015 #1
    Because I had a lot of high school credits, I am able to to complete a physics/math dual major in 3 years time. I just got some extra funding from a few scholarships that I cannot apply for graduate school, but would allow me to stay here for an extra year. If I don't, I'm essentially wasting the money.

Could I feasibly finish a 3rd major while I'm here, maybe something with better job outlook (in case my physics career doesn't pan out)? What would be a good choice? Or should I just take some grad classes? I'd like to hear possible suggestions.

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2015 #2
    In my opinion, you can either rush through three majors, or take your time through two. I'd recommend taking some grad classes, or maybe taking fewer credit hours and doing research.

4. Jul 13, 2015 #3

donpacino

Gold Member

like tide detergent said above, I would recommend not doing three majors.
    Why don't you take some electives you like, or do some research in topics. Take that extra time to get good at something, not learn the basics of another thing.

You want to learn something, not rush through and get a piece of paper

5. Jul 15, 2015 #4

Dembadon

Gold Member

I suggest this option. Focus on doing well in physics/math first, then worry about whether you're going to continue your education after you've gotten a feel for what you want to specialize in.

6. Jul 17, 2015 #5
    I'm not really sure I got the point where "going straight for a PhD program" dropped out of the list of options. Not letting grant money going to waste seems like a rather weak argument, assuming PhD positions are paid in <wherever you would do this PhD>. A PhD is so much more fun than boring "do your homework, try to get good grades" undergrad time.

7. Jul 17, 2015 #6
    Right.

How do you figure the money will be "wasted"? The scholarship will give it to another deserving student, right? That's a good thing, not a waste...

Just my 2¢

8. Jul 17, 2015 #7
    I guess I'm looking at the situation in a rather selfish way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook