What is the 3rd Derivative of Position?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation for momentum and force, as well as the derivative of acceleration, which is also known as 'jerk'. The conversation also suggests the term 'yank' for the quantity of mass * (da/dt), which is the first time derivative of force. However, this term is not an official one. The conversation also acknowledges that this quantity is what causes discomfort in a rollercoaster ride due to changes in acceleration.
bomba923
Although my notation is likely incorrect,

Momentum =
[tex] m\frac{{dx}}{{dt}} = m \cdot v [/tex]

Force =
[tex] m\frac{{d^2 x}}{{dt^2 }} = m\frac{{dv}}{{dt}} = m \cdot a [/tex]

Then,
[tex] m\frac{{d^3 x}}{{dt^3 }} = m\frac{{d^2 v}}{{dt^2 }} = m\frac{{da}}{{dt}} [/tex]

But what would/do you call the [tex] m\frac{{da}}{{dt}} [/tex] ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know the answer in this context, but the derivative of acceleration is called jerk.

Well, my question is what is the name of mass*(da/dt); exactly what physical quantity does it represent (is it a useful physical quantity)?
From that, i think, i can give it a name---but if it already has one,

*What would/do we call the product represented by mass*(da/dt) ?

It is just the first time derivative of Force [itex] \frac{dF}{dt} [/itex] (which is also the second time derivative of momentum), which is what the link robphy supplied in his post refers to.

It should be pointed out that using the word 'Yank' to represent this quantity is by no means official, it is more of a tongue in cheek proposition.

Claude.

Ahh--that's right :smile:!

Yank =
[tex] m\frac{{da}}{{dt}} [/tex]

I can only say that its the quantity of "Yank" that makes you sick in a rollercoaster, because uniform acceleration doesn't disturb our senses very much...

What is 3rd Derivative Name?

The 3rd derivative name refers to the third derivative of a mathematical function, which is the rate of change of the rate of change of the rate of change of the original function.

Why is the 3rd derivative important?

The 3rd derivative is important because it provides information about the curvature and acceleration of a function. It can also help with finding inflection points and determining the concavity of a graph.

How is the 3rd derivative calculated?

The 3rd derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of the 2nd derivative. This can be done using the power rule or any other derivative rules that apply to the function.

What is the notation for the 3rd derivative?

The notation for the 3rd derivative varies, but some common notations include f'''(x), d^3y/dx^3, or y''''(x). The number of apostrophes or primes can indicate the order of the derivative.

In what real-world applications is the 3rd derivative used?

The 3rd derivative is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects, the rate of change of chemical reactions, and the growth of economies.