Proving Third Isomorphism Theorem: Normal Subgroups and Homomorphisms

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the Third Isomorphism Theorem, which states that (G/N)/(M/N) is isomorphic to G/M when M and N are normal subgroups of G and N is a subgroup of M. The conversation also includes the construction of a homomorphism from G/N to G/M and the question of how to show that it is onto.
moo5003
Problem:

" Prove (Third Isomorphism THeorem) If M and N are normal subgroups of G and N < or = to M, that (G/N)/(M/N) is isomorphic to G/M."

Work done so far:

Using simply definitions I have simplified (G/N)/(M/N) to (GM/N). Now using the first Isomorphism theorem I want to show that a homomorphism Phi from GM to G/M exists. Such that the Kernal of Phi is N.

I constructed phi such that GM -> G/M
where it sends all x |----> xN.

My problem is as follows: How do I know xN is actually in the set G/M. It may just be that I'm going about the proof in a way that is very complicated then it should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright I've been looking at some online proofs and I can see were I went wrong. I should have constructed a phi from G/N to G/M.

My only question is how to show that phi from a gN to a gM is onto G/M. I was looking at the proofs online and they didnt seem to make any sense on this part.

The map is I presume the on induced by sending g to [g] its coset in G/M. This is surjective. N is in the kernel so it factors as G-->G/N-->G/M. And the second map must also be surjective.

THinking more concretely, each and every coset of M is a union of cosets of N, so your map from G/N to G/M just identifies these cosets of N.

What is the Third Isomorphism Theorem?

The Third Isomorphism Theorem is a fundamental result in group theory that states that given two normal subgroups of a group, their quotient groups are isomorphic.

What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. This means that if an element of the larger group is multiplied by an element of the normal subgroup and then by the inverse of that element, the result will still be in the normal subgroup.

What is the significance of normal subgroups in the Third Isomorphism Theorem?

In the Third Isomorphism Theorem, normal subgroups are essential in defining the quotient groups, which are used to prove the isomorphism between the two original groups.

What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a function between two groups that preserves the group structure. This means that the operation in the first group is preserved when applied to the corresponding elements in the second group.

How do normal subgroups and homomorphisms work together in the proof of the Third Isomorphism Theorem?

In the proof of the Third Isomorphism Theorem, normal subgroups and homomorphisms are used to construct the quotient groups and show that they are isomorphic, thus proving the theorem. Specifically, the homomorphism is used to map elements of the original groups to their corresponding elements in the quotient groups, while the normal subgroups ensure that the mapping is well-defined and preserves the group structure.