1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3rd Isomorphism Theory

1. Apr 21, 2006 #1
    Problem:

" Prove (Third Isomorphism THeorem) If M and N are normal subgroups of G and N < or = to M, that (G/N)/(M/N) is isomorphic to G/M."

Work done so far:

Using simply definitions I have simplified (G/N)/(M/N) to (GM/N). Now using the first Isomorphism theorem I want to show that a homomorphism Phi from GM to G/M exists. Such that the Kernal of Phi is N.

I constructed phi such that GM -> G/M
    where it sends all x |----> xN.

My problem is as follows: How do I know xN is actually in the set G/M. It may just be that I'm going about the proof in a way that is very complicated then it should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2006 #2
    Alright I've been looking at some online proofs and I can see were I went wrong. I should have constructed a phi from G/N to G/M.

My only question is how to show that phi from a gN to a gM is onto G/M. I was looking at the proofs online and they didnt seem to make any sense on this part.

4. Apr 21, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The map is I presume the on induced by sending g to [g] its coset in G/M. This is surjective. N is in the kernel so it factors as G-->G/N-->G/M. And the second map must also be surjective.

THinking more concretely, each and every coset of M is a union of cosets of N, so your map from G/N to G/M just identifies these cosets of N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?