Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3rd law of thermodynamic

1. Aug 2, 2006 #1
    well at my chemistry class i was taught that according to the 3rd law of thermodynamic, zero entrophy exist at absolute zero for perfect crystal structure. But somewhere outside the class i also notice about einstein-bohr condensation that says that at zero kelvin, all particles would come togather at one point and overlap one another and thus, by no means a perfect crystal would exist in zero kelvin. so is it simply saying that zero etrophy never exist even at absolute zero?

ps: so far according to my knowledge, absolute zero is impossible and thus, the question is neglecting this fact.

thx in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2006 #2
    A few days ago, there was another thread here about "negative absolute temperatures".

Apparently, these are sometimes possible: when a system has less possible configurations at higher energies than at lower energies. Like in your question, the relation between the configuration number and the internal energy is the key point.

I don't understand the 3rd law completely. But I think it is reasonnable, in most cases, to assume that zero absolute temperature corresponds to only one possible configuration (up to the degeneracy).

Often, but not always, I quess, this would be a crystal. Indeed, wide-spread wave functions for each atom would mean higher momentum and energy: so minimum energy could often mean localisation in a crystal structure. But would expect that to be the general rule.

PS: 3rd law (from Ishan Barin, Thermochemical data of pure substances)

Lewis anti Randall: "If the entropy of each element in some crystalline state be taken as zero at T= 0 K, every substance has a finite positive entropy; but at T= 0 K the entropy may become zero, and does so become in the case of perfect crystalline substances."

Planck's formulation: The entropy of pure phases in internal equilibrium approaches a constant value (independent of pressure, phase state and crystal structure) as the temperature approaches

Nernst: All state changes (such as reactions and transformations between phases) take place in the vicinity of the absolute zero (T= 0 K) without a change in entropy, DS -> 0 as T-> 0 .
    It is impossible to cool a substance to the absolute zero by means of a process that passes through a finite number of steps.

The entropy values based on the condition S(0 K) = 0 , are known as "Third Law entropies" or "absolute entropies".
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?