3rd right foot washes up on BC beach

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
In summary, three severed right feet have been washing up on the Gulf Islands in recent months. There is still no clear indication of what may have caused the limbs to be cut off, but police are investigating any possible links to missing person cases.
One DNA identification.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/07/19/bc-foot.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It was from a missing person, which rules out graverobbers just doing it for the spectacle.

Here's (possibly) another one. Not in British Columbia, but just a bit to the south, in my little corner of the world - Washington State.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26000882

Deputies say on Friday, a woman found what looks like a foot inside a sneaker near Jim Creek, about 30 miles west of Port Angeles.

"When we say a foot it's kind of a speculation at this point," Det. Sgt. Lyman Moores said Sunday. "What it was is it was a sock inside the shoe that appeared to contain decomposed flesh. We don't know at this point whether that's animal, whether it's human, or what it is."

Sorry to jump in late, and this joke has prolly already been made, but what it it was only from two people one with TWO RIGHT FEET and another right foot from somebody else?

Honestly, binzing, I've lost count :redface: ! There have been so many feet washing up in this part of the world lately. Seems we hear about one every other week or so. Only two of the feet have been identified as coming from the same person.

Why the hell feet?

binzing said:
Why the hell feet?

Because the giant octopus eating all those people can't figure out how to undo shoelaces?

binzing said:
Why the hell feet?
I think the idea is that feet are a relatively easy unit that separate from the body at the ankle. They're heavy, compact and relatively distinct. The hands might suffer the same thing but I bet the hands, being composed of small bones, just disintegrate. Just speculation.

binzing said:
Why the hell feet?

Because the people are being eaten by European sharks. Europeans use the metric system and don't have anything to do with feet.

BobG said:
Because the people are being eaten by European sharks. Europeans use the metric system and don't have anything to do with feet.

And here I thought it was that the victims were all Mars-bound astronauts at NASA. In all their calculations, they forgot to include feet. :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
I think the idea is that feet are a relatively easy unit that separate from the body at the ankle.
And sneakers float.

mgb_phys said:
And sneakers float.
An excellent point, possibly the clincher.

Eh, just a thought on the jokes here, folks. Maybe they're not a good idea, for the possibility that in time identities may be known and a relative might stumble into this thread. Which is quite possible when Googling for info. Which I'm sure they might do.

I don't think they'd like what they might read.

OAQfirst said:
Eh, just a thought on the jokes here, folks. Maybe they're not a good idea, for the possibility that in time identities may be known and a relative might stumble into this thread. Which is quite possible when Googling for info. Which I'm sure they might do.

I don't think they'd like what they might read.

Good thing we're not forcing them to look at PF.

DaveC426913 said:
An excellent point, possibly the clincher.

In fact floating sneakers are a great facility for oceanographers. Everytime a container gets washed overboard they get distributed and can be used to track currents across oceans.
Especialy useful when you can track the exact shipment and the point there were lost.

mgb_phys said:
In fact floating sneakers are a great facility for oceanographers. Everytime a container gets washed overboard they get distributed and can be used to track currents across oceans.
Especialy useful when you can track the exact shipment and the point there were lost.

And of course, the venerable http://www.cdnn.info/eco/e031003/e031003.html" .

DNA tests have confirmed a match between a left foot that washed up in the Fraser River last month and a right root found in May on Kirkland Island, B.C.

The feet belonged to the same woman, whose identity has not yet been determined, the B.C. Coroners Service said Friday.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/12/05/bc-feet-dna-match.html

Back