1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3real life applications of the Millikan Experiment or parallel plates.

1. Nov 27, 2003 #1
    Can someone give me three real life applications of the Millikan Experiment or parallel plates? Also if possible can you give me a little description of how it works.

Also, we are not allowed to use a tv,computer monitor or a printer.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you mean by "real life applications of the Millikan Experiment". I don't know how one "applies" an experiment. The Millikan Oildrop Experiment (I assume that's the one you mean) was done to demonstrate the discreteness of electrical charge and did that very nicely.

As for "parallel plates", I guess you are talking about charged plates. Start off by thinking about capacitors.

4. Nov 27, 2003 #3
    What I meant in real-life applications is how Millikan's oil drop experiment is used today. Like in what sort of products do we use stuff that Millikan learned. For example a TV uses something simiar to parallel plates to direct electrons.

5. Nov 28, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then I think you misunderstand the point of the experiment. The use of parallel, magnetized or charged plates was well known before that time.

6. Nov 28, 2003 #5
    Mass spectrometers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?