Why Does the 3s Hydrogen Wave Function Use the Polynomial (27-18σ+2σ²)?

In summary, the Laguerre Polynomial for the 3s hydrogen wave function can be represented as (27-18σ+2σ2) and is derived from the complete hydrogen wave function, which uses the Laguerre polynomial L^{1}_{3}(x)=-3!(3-3x+(1/2)x2). However, there may be a difference in the normalization of the σ value used, which could result in a factor of 2/3 in the final polynomial.
chrisa88
Hi, I am wondering why the associated Laguerre Polynomial for the 3s hydrogen wave function is (27-18σ+2σ2).
My physical chemistry book tells me that the complete hydrogen wave function is given by:
[itex]\Psi[/itex](r,[itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex])= RnlY[itex]^{m}_{l}[/itex]([itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex])
and Rnl(r) uses the Laguerre polynomial L[itex]^{1}_{3}[/itex](x)=-3!(3-3x+(1/2)x2).

How does this become (27-18σ+2σ2)? I understand that the σ = Zr/a0, but how does the 27 and 2 come about? According to my calculations it should be (18-18σ+3σ2).

Please help me! I've been wracking my brain about this for way too long and cannot seem to find how this difference from the wave function given in my book and the wave function I produced using the complete hydrogen atomic wave function form comes about.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head - there are several representations of the Laguerre Polynomial.
Are you using two different sources? What are they?

Last edited:
No, this is all from the same textbook. Which makes it that much more nerve racking!

chrisa88 said:
σ = Zr/a0
Try with σ = 2Zr/a instead.

I'm pretty sure that still does not work. From a quick look at it all that would give is (18-36σ+6σ2). I will discuss this with my teacher tomorrow, time is not permitting me to continue with this issue anymore.

Thank you all though!

I have: $$L_3^{(1)}=\frac{-x^3}{6}+2x^2-6x+4$$

But I see the polynomial in the general wavefunction given as $$L_{n-l-1}^{2l+1}\big(\frac{2r}{na_0}\big)$$

The 3s states would ne n=3, and l=0 ... so the polynomial is:

$$L_2^{(1)}\big(\frac{2r}{3a_0}\big) = \frac{1}{2}\big(\frac{2r}{3a_0}\big)^2-3\big(\frac{2r}{3a_0}\big)+3$$

chrisa88 said:
and Rnl(r) uses the Laguerre polynomial L[itex]^{1}_{3}[/itex](x)=-3!(3-3x+(1/2)x2).

How does this become (27-18σ+2σ2)? I understand that the σ = Zr/a0, but how does the 27 and 2 come about? According to my calculations it should be (18-18σ+3σ2).

If I set ##\sigma=\frac{2}{3}\sigma'## i get ## 18-18\sigma +3 \sigma^2=(18-18\frac{2}{3}\sigma'+3(\frac{2}{3}\sigma')^2)=2/3(27-18\sigma' +2\sigma'^2)##
So up to a change in normalization, your σ and the σ' in your book the seem to differ by a factor 2/3.

1. What is the 3s Hydrogen Wave Function?

The 3s Hydrogen Wave Function is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding an electron in the 3s orbital of a hydrogen atom. It describes the spatial distribution of the electron in this orbital.

2. How is the 3s Hydrogen Wave Function calculated?

The 3s Hydrogen Wave Function is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the potential energy of the electron in the presence of the proton in the nucleus. This equation is solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and integration.

3. What is the shape of the 3s Hydrogen Wave Function?

The 3s Hydrogen Wave Function has a spherical shape, with the highest probability of finding the electron at the center of the orbital. However, there is also a small probability of finding the electron at greater distances from the nucleus.

4. How does the 3s Hydrogen Wave Function differ from other orbital wave functions?

The 3s Hydrogen Wave Function differs from other orbital wave functions in terms of its energy level and spatial distribution. The 3s orbital is a higher energy level than the 1s and 2s orbitals, and it has a larger spatial extent, meaning the electron can be found at greater distances from the nucleus.

5. What are the applications of the 3s Hydrogen Wave Function?

The 3s Hydrogen Wave Function has many applications in quantum mechanics and atomic physics. It is used to calculate the energy and properties of hydrogen atoms, and it also serves as a basis for understanding more complex atomic systems. Additionally, the 3s orbital is involved in chemical bonding, making the 3s Hydrogen Wave Function relevant in the field of chemistry as well.