1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter

1. Jul 26, 2004 #1
    hi everyone :smile:

i am a 2nd year engineering student....i have a problem here... :confused: i was asked to build a 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter but i have no idea how to build it... i have search all over the webs but the information they gave me ain't what i want.

i was asked to build a step up from 3V to 5V converter using only discreet components. I can't uses switches too... :frown: The current must be within 30mA.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone can help me... :wink:

Thankz :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2004 #2
    Take a 3V battery and connect a 2V battery in series.

4. Jul 27, 2004 #3
    i can only use two 1.6V batteries in the circuit.

5. Jul 27, 2004 #4
  6. Jul 27, 2004 #5
    hehe... i've tried building this circuit already but don't know why it can't work.
    is it because of the values i use for the components?
    i've used:
    1)150uH inductor
    2)BC817-25 transistor
    3)0.47uF cap
    4)BAS85 diode

can give suggestions on what components i can use?
    Thanz =)

7. Jul 27, 2004 #6
    Got me there. My experience consists in building a capacitive discharge ignition system from a kit forty years ago that had a 12 to 400V dc-dc converter in it. Put out a hell of a spark--actually advanced the timing.

8. Jul 27, 2004 #7
    Then how can i calculate the values of the components i need to boost the voltage from 3V to 5V??

9. Jul 27, 2004 #8

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

Are you certain your timing circuit is sending pulses to the transistor that saturate it?

How much of a load are you placing across the outputs of the boost converter?

What does the behavior across the components look like on a scope?

Cliff

10. Jun 10, 2007 #9
    try this i requires no inductors

I was searching for a single component to do this and ran across your request.
    Try the attached circuit. It is an astable multivibrator tied to a voltage doubler.
    It's very straight forward.
    Mayj

11. Jun 10, 2007 #10

ranger

Gold Member

This thread is going to be 3 years old soon.

BTW, you forgot to attach the circuit for those who may interested in it.

12. Jan 12, 2008 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?