Proving Singularity of 3x3 Matrix with a1+2a2-a3=0 | A is Singular

• Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3x3 Matrix
In summary, if A is a 3 x 3 matrix satisfying the equation a1+2a2-a3=0, then A must be singular. This can be proven by considering two cases: if after row/column reducing, the matrix becomes the identity, then A is nonsingular; if there is a row/column of zeroes, then A is singular. Furthermore, if A is invertible, then the system Ax=b of n linear equations in n unknowns has a unique solution, while A being singular means there is a non-unique solution. Therefore, the fact that there are two solutions (x=0 and x=<1,-2,1>) in the given problem suggests that A must be singular
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

If A is a 3 x 3 matrix a1+2a2-a3=0, then A must be singular.
I have the answering being true but how do I prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustinsfl said:

Homework Statement

If A is a 3 x 3 matrix a1+2a2-a3=0, then A must be singular.
I have the answering being true but how do I prove it?

Assuming a_i are columns or rows, then sure. Let's assume you row/column reduce something as far as you can.

We have two cases:
Case 1:
You end up with the identity. Taking the determinant, you'll get a nonzero number which will be affected by the row/column operations you did (like if you swapped rows and whatnot).

Case 2:
You have a row/col of zeroes somewhere.
Taking the determinant of this will give you zero (hence singular).

Since a_1 + 2a_2 - a_3 = 0, this implies that a_1 + 2a_2 = a_3.

What case is the matrix in? Why?

We can't prove it using determinants. The equation is in the form Ax=b. Where x is the column vector 1,2,-1.

Dustinsfl said:
We can't prove it using determinants. The equation is in the form Ax=b. Where x is the column vector 1,2,-1.

What does that have to do with anything? According your original post, this deals only with the matrix A. What does that particular equation have anything to do with whether A is singular or not?

Because that column vector is used in proving the singularity but I don't know how to do it.

Dustinsfl said:
Because that column vector is used in proving the singularity but I don't know how to do it.
I don't understand the question. The vector in question has nothing to do with that.

What are the ai? If they are columns/rows, you don't need that column vector. What is b, anyways?

Column vector b is the 0 vector. It has to do with homogeneous equations have trivial and solutions. That is how A is suppose to be proving for the question.

Dustinsfl said:
Column vector b is the 0 vector. It has to do with homogeneous equations have trivial and solutions. That is how A is suppose to be proving for the question.

Oooooh! I got you. This seems simple enough.

Consider any general system Ax = b.

If A was invertible, what does this tell you about x?

x is the inverse if and only if b is the I

Dustinsfl said:
x is the inverse if and only if b is the I

No no. x can't be the inverse of anything because x is a column vector. x is a solution to this equation. What kind of solution, though? Hint: Is it the only solution?

Nontrivial solution

Dustinsfl said:
Nontrivial solution

There are no "trivial" solutions if b is not the zero vector. So, if A is invertible and b is not the zero vector, does there exist a y such that Ay = b and x =/= y ? That is to say, is x unique?

It is giving that b is the 0 vector. I am not sure if it is unique or how to show if it isn't.

Dustinsfl said:
It is giving that b is the 0 vector. I am not sure if it is unique or how to show if it isn't.

The fact b is the zero vector is the key part in the proof, because it guarantees you a solution. It guarantees you the trivial solution of x = 0. According to the problem at hand, you also have another solution of the form x = <1,-2,1>. Therefore, x is not unique.

Is there any way of connection uniqueness of solutions with whether A is invertible?

The system Ax=b of n linear equations in n unknowns has a unique solution if and only if A is nonsingular. Since x can be the 0 vector and vector <1,2,-1>, the solution isn't unique; therefore, A must be singular.

Dustinsfl said:
The system Ax=b of n linear equations in n unknowns has a unique solution if and only if A is nonsingular. Since x can be the 0 vector and vector <1,2,-1>, the solution isn't unique; therefore, A must be singular.

Correct!

Thanks

1. What is a 3x3 matrix?

A 3x3 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers arranged in three rows and three columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and engineering to represent and solve systems of equations.

2. What does it mean for a matrix to be singular?

A singular matrix is a square matrix that does not have an inverse. This means that it cannot be multiplied with another matrix to get the identity matrix (a square matrix with 1s on the diagonal and 0s elsewhere).

3. How do you prove that a matrix is singular?

To prove that a matrix is singular, you can use the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is equal to 0, then the matrix is singular. Alternatively, you can row-reduce the matrix and if you end up with a row of all zeros, the matrix is also singular.

4. What does the equation a1+2a2-a3=0 mean in the context of proving singularity?

The equation a1+2a2-a3=0 represents a condition that the matrix in question must satisfy in order to be singular. In this case, a1, a2, and a3 represent the elements in the first row of the matrix. This equation is a result of solving for the determinant of a 3x3 matrix.

5. How can you apply this proof to other matrices?

The proof for this specific matrix can be applied to any 3x3 matrix. However, the specific condition (a1+2a2-a3=0) may vary depending on the size and elements of the matrix. In general, to prove the singularity of a matrix, you can use the determinant or row-reduction method, depending on the size and complexity of the matrix.